Help a Newbie!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by treaclesponge, Feb 12, 2009.

1. treaclesponge

treaclesponge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Guys, looking for a bit of guidance. Ive planned a fairly large project for myself in the way of designing an install for my lounge. The unit will fit under the stairs that runs down the wall.

I was planning on making the unit from MDF but am unsure of the thicknesses required. I was planning on the top being 18mm, the drawers/shelves 12mm and the rest 6mm. Will this be suitable or overkill or not enough? The TV will (hopefully) be mounted on the house wall so the unit will not have to take the weight However I would like to have the option just in case this does not go to plan.

I have attached a (bad) sketchup drawing of the idea I am trying to realise!

Thanks in advance

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm141/treaclesponge/13 Oakleigh Close/Stairs.jpg
    [​IMG]

2. freemo999

freemo999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    The sketch looks pretty good to me!!

Have you thought of using Conti boards, i think 15mm is the standard thickness it comes in. Easy to work with available in a range of colours and it is already finished when its done.

In my parents house we built an under the stairs cupboard for coats etc and melamine was great for the job.

Good Luck

3. treaclesponge

treaclesponge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Ill take a look at that, my only thought is that they only come in narrow strips rather than large sections like the MDF does. Could be useful for some parts though. How well does it take paint IIRC conti is quite shiny?

Thanks again!

4. Paul-r1

Paul-r1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  5. treaclesponge

treaclesponge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    That looks great Paul, I'll certainly be grabbing a few ideas from that! Thanks :thumbsup:

6. andy900uk

andy900uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    should be fine although i would use 18mm for your shelves as well, i like your plan looks good . pauls install look very neat and affective.
    Andy

7. treaclesponge

treaclesponge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    One other question, planning on moving to an amp and 5.1 kit as at the moment I am using a bodged PC speakers 5.1 kit.

Thinking of these, any comments? I am by no means an audiophile I just want some crisp sound on a reasonable buget.

Onkyo TXSR506

Onkyo SKSHT518

Any suggestions welcome, although I am looking for fairly plain and unobtrusive speakers (got to sneak them past the girlfriend! ;))

EDIT: :oops: Probably should add this will be used with Sky+, Xbox 360 and Sony BDPS350

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009