1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help a Newbie ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Yosef, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Yosef

Yosef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey everyone.

First up, I'm new here so hello and go gently with me !

OK, I'm after some advice on a budget home theatre set-up. I currently have a Sony 28" widescreen that does the job, and a Sony DVD player (DVPNS300 or summat like that). Again, the DVD player does the job.

I'm basically after a cheap system that I can stick my TV, DVD and possibly my Hifi through for some improvement to my viewing/listening pleasures.

I'm going travelling next year, and don't expect to be back for a good couple of years. Hence I don't want to spend a great deal as it'll be well out of date by the time I'm back.

My lady friend works for Sony and can get some cheap gear, so I was considering the DAVS400/450/500. Any advice ? Budget limited to about the £250 mark (so you can tell I'm not expecting anything mindblowing !). Got a mate who's selling his Panasonic SC-HT80 within my budget. Any good ?

Have seen a few threads on here with advice that separates are better quality than an all-in-one job, but I expect my budget would count them out. Am I right ?

Basically I'm just after the old 5 satellite jobber, and preferably with the old Dolby decoders in there too.

Are there any budget systems out there that do as good a job as the Sony's etc without the price tag ? Bit reluctant to jump blindly into the Sanyo/Aiwa ballpark without knowing what I'm likely to get.

Any advice on what would work well/what to look for in a system would be greatly appreciated, as I really don't know much about this sort of thing.

I am completely at your mercy !!!

Cheers in advance,

Yosef

PS Apologies if this is in the wrong forum...

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    The sony Babe b1 is weel specced an sheap at a just over £200 why not have a look in the clasiifieds forum or post a wanted add. there may be someone looking too upgrade.
    As you have a DVD a DAV with its built in DVD seems a waste of cash, have a look at the Yammaha Hitib 45/65 http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/Warehouse/list.htm do them.
    :clap: :clap: :clap:

3. Yosef

Yosef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers dragon.

If I got a system with a DVD player then I'd sell my DVD player anyway, but what are the DVD players like quality-wise with the all-in-one systems ?

Any more recommendations ?? Or experience with the systems noted ?

Cheers...

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Dav880 are supposed to be OK but they are not the best, dont know what the differnce with yours would be, suggest you find somewhere where you can see hear a DAV and a separates system side by side on a similar TV. If you are in london try totenham Court ROad or a large RS with demo room. If you let us know where you are we could make a few suggeations.

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +447
    I can't comment on quality here ... but how about (from Richer Sounds)

Pioneer VSXC100 AV Amp @ £150
    Gale Moviestar 5 speaker package @ £120

If the speakers take you over your max budget ... also look at some of the other sub £120 packages that Richer Sounds do. Now this is going against what I would usually say ... but may be more suitable in your circumstances ... you may do better with a cheeper speaker package (maybe the Eltax DX10 @ £80) and then adding a cheep sub - like the Eltax or Gale Sub 10 @ £60.

Now this setup won't sound a patch on even a £500 separates system ... but I would think that it will easily beat a DAV type system.

Victoria

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You sound like me!! :eek:

You can see from my signature what I ended up with - got the receiver and Mission 6 pack from www.hifijunkies.co.uk in their sale. Overjoyed with what I got and think it was good value, but it's my first HC kit and haven't heard much else.

7. Yosef

Yosef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice everybody.

A few more questions if that's ok.

I'm having to move house shortly, and the new place has quite a small (almost square) living room. As a result, I'm going to have to have the sofa against a wall. So I won't be able to have the speakers any distance behind me. Will I get a half-decent result do you think ? Are there any types of systems that are better/worse for this ?

Also, what do you think of the Yamaha HTiB-45 system ? Would this link well with my DVD player or would the DVD player let the overall result down ? The outputs on my DVD player are as follows:

SCART out (RGB)
    S Video Out
    2 phono audio outs and a video (phono) out

and

Digital out (Coaxial). Written next to it is "PCM/DTS/MPEG/DOLBY DIGITAL"

Is this lot any good (baring in mind my budget, and the fact that I'm not expecting the sort of results you guys demand) ?

I haven't been able to find any details on the connections of the Yam HTiB unfortunately.

Would I be better off going for this type of system, or an all-in-one (as in, an integrated DVD) ?

Finally, I've been looking at a load of threads on here and those discussing set-up in particular. It seems that setting-up a system is a bleeding art in itself. Because I don't know much about this sort of thing, are there types or models that are easier to set-up for a novice like me ? I don't want to waste my money by getting poor results because I don't know what I'm doing set-up wise. People have talked about positioning/height of speakers right through to positioning of furniture - AAAAARRRRGGGHHH !!! :suicide:

Again, all help and advice will be much appreciated.

Cheers guys...:smashin:

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My sofa was against the wall and my room is small. It can work okay, but to get a decent rear effect (rather than thinking the sounds are just coming from the sides) it's better if your speakers are at least an inch behind your line of hearing (i.e. behind your ears themselves). An inch is not much, so just pull the sofa forward a little bit, which is what I've done. Obviously the more you pull it forward, the better the rear effect, but I couldn't manage more than a few inches.

Obviously, if you get flat panels that attach to the wall, then they'll be easier to get behind your ears as they're less bulky. But they may not sound as good as conventional speakers.

The receiver is good (same as what I have) but the speakers are not too great as they are not powerful enough for the receiver. Apparently they distort at higher volumes.

Yeah, the digital coax out will connect into the digital coax in on the receiver.

Look for specs for the RXV-430RDS or the HTR-5540RDS as these are the receivers used in that package (they are both the same receiver but the former is black and the latter is silver, they just have totally different models numbers - very weird I know).

I would say go separates as you can get better quality gear for the same price and it allows you to upgrade easily.

It's very easy to set up but I know it's daunting at first. Hardest bit is the speaker wiring as you have 5 to do (or 6 or 7 if you go for the newer sound formats). The only thing about all-in-ones is that they provide all the cabling etc but you still set them up the same so it's really not worth it just for that.

9. Yosef

Yosef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Squirrel God, much appreciated.

I'm considering that Yam package, but am now thinking about the speaker thing you mentioned. On the one hand, decent speakers are obviously important but equally the road we're moving to is EXTREMELY quiet:boring: :rolleyes: Now this coupled with the missus being particularly concerned about keeping neighbours sweet (which I suppose is right !) and a mid-terrace house will probably mean that I won't often get to give the speakers a good thrashing. Also my budget is the (VERY) limiting factor here ! Finally, is there any truth in the theory that speakers and receivers made by the same company could have a positive effect on the results ? That's just me thinking out loud, I haven't heard it anywhere so feel free to laugh and put me straight !

Going back to the receiver, I've noticed it's got Pro Logic II. I've read a few posts on here where people say it is worth the extra cash. Would people agree with this, or would I possibly not notice with a lower quality set-up ? Sorry for the rookie questions...but as my old teacher :lesson: used to say "The only stupid question is the one you don't ask" !

Also, is the HTiB-45's receiver any good for just music ? What flavour Dolby is best for music ?

Still interested in people's recommendations too of course ! sounddog, any views on the HTiB-45 against your suggestion ? I'm not a labels person, but am wary of buying gear made by people I've never heard of. Now I'm not suggesting that the brand mentioned is not good quality. Like I've said, I'm new to this so haven't got a clue. I've only ever heard of the mainstream brands y'see.

Thanks !

Cheers again...

10. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yosef,

1. You don't need to turn the speakers up that loud to give them a good thrashing. I live in a flat and have to consider the neighbours above and below me, but in the daytime I can get away with it being a bit louder. You will want it reasonably loud, and you'll soon get frustrated if it distorts even a little whenever there's an explosion or loud noise, trust me ;)

2. Don't equate budget with all-in-one. You can get separates within your existing budget which will do a better job than an all-in-one package.

3. Speakers and receivers made by the same company is irrelevant.

4. Pro Logic II is essential as far as I'm concerned and as far as many people are concerned, if you're going to watch TV or have some Dolby Surround VHS tapes and DVDs. You wouldn't believe how good it is. I've only had it for a couple of weeks and already I couldn't live without it.

5. Music is a different matter entirely. It depends what you're used to. So far, I find my home cinema speakers and receiver to be better with music than my Sony mini hi-fi was. Dolby Pro Logic II's Music mode sounds good with Music or you can opt for 5-channel stereo or just plain vanilla stereo... You have to experiment. If you're more serious about music, you'll be wanting to make further purchases or spend more on your receiver and speakers ...

6. Yamaha are a well-respected manufacturer in home cinema receivers, along with many others. If you're new to home cinema and hi-fi you might not have heard of some of the brands, but don't let that worry you.

7. If a source is in 6.1 (or 5.1 EX), it depends what your receiver will do. The Yamaha you are looking at will create a virtual ('phantom') rear centre speaker for the extra channel. It sounds pretty good to me, though obviously not in the same league as having a real centre speaker. Other receivers will do the same, while some will just downmix the 6.1 to 5.1. (I know you deleted your post that asked this question, but I thought I'd leave the answer here anyway :D )

I'm sure other members will give you the benefit of their experience too, which will be vastly longer than mine.

11. Yosef

Yosef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers man, you're a legend.

When you're looking at speakers for H/C, what do you look for to get the best sound (Ignoring the style-stakes) ? I'm guessing brand/reputation has to come in somewhere, power handling, size ? Following on, what sort of wattage should I be looking at to avoid distortion ? In general I know that manufacturers are often a little "creative" when quoting the W's for their speakers, but then again it has to come in somewhere doesn't it ?

Hmmm, PL2 it is then ! You mention in relation to watching TV. Although not vital, decent sound whilst watching the telly would be a bonus. Unfortunately however, I won't have Sky or cable at my new place, so I'm reliant on terrestrial broadcast. What will happen sound-wise if the reception is a bit sketchy ? At the moment, the sound through just my TV is damn annoying - it crackles while it gains and loses the Nicam. I'm only moving about a mile down the road so not sure if it'll be any better there. Don't think I could hack broken up sound from several speakers !!

Yeah, I thought it'd be a tad lazy to ask the question without searching on here, and I find a thread that explained all. But cheers anyway.

Just wishing I had the cash to spend now...doing my head in having to wait til payday !!!!! If only my flexible friend could handle just a few hundred more English pounds !!!

Bye for now...