Help a newbie pretty please! Yamaha 3040 with sharc

Lachlan2912

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey guys 2month old lurker been browsing the forums looking for answers
Doing extensions on the house and putting in a theatre room
I picked up a Yamaha 3040 with klipsch speakers and grabbed a rotel amp to power the front speakers
Haven't started my build yet so I just chucked the front 3 speakers the rotel and Yamaha 3040 into my current TV LG C9

So setup is
LGc9--> sharc earc---> Yamaha 3040

Im having issues playing atmos truehd or any lossless codecs

Everything I try to play basically comes up as Dolby digital+
I have gotten true hd and atmos to appear on the av reciever when playing my xbox using bitstream out

But I cannot get atmos through Netflix via chromecast ultra or get lossless audio codecs through plex either via in TV client or chromecast ultra

When looking at my plex dashboard it says truehd 7.1 direct playing but the reciever says Dolby digital+

Is it worth grabbing a shield pro as I've read these will do the codecs

Almost all streaming services use DD+. None of them use TrueHD or HD formatted audio. Even if getting Atmos via a streaming service, the Atmos metadata will be packaged with lossy SD DD+.

If using external devices to access the audio, connect them directly to one of the AV receiver's HDMI inputs as opposed to passing the audio through the TV. If not able to access Atmos then I'd look at the speakers configurations onboard the AV receiver. The AVR will not even acknowledge the presence of Atmos unless you've a setup that includes at least 2 height, upward firing or ceiling speakers. Yamaha refer to these speakers as presence speakers. The minimum requirement for Atmos with that AVR would be a 5.1.2 setup.

Last edited:
No, I'm saying that you'll not get Atmos without the additional height speakers required. Also note that streaming services don't encode anything with TrueHD, not even the content inclusive of Atmos. You'll not get Atmos without having at least 2 presence speakers in your setup.

If only getting DD+ then that is all that the source device is outputting or it could be outputting DD+ inclusive of Atmos metadata, but your AV receiver will be ignoring this metadata if you've not a setup condusive with what is required for Atmos. The AV receiver has no ability to convert one format to another. If not getting TrueHD then the source isn't outputting TrueHD.

Last edited:
I don't know, but it has nothing to do with the AV receiver. The AV receiver is only receiving what it's display is showing it is getting so the issue is with the source.

Again, you'll not even get the AV receiver to acknowledge the presence of Atmos metadata unless you've a speaker configuration that is condusive with what is required to portray Atmos. You'd simply get either the DD+ or the TrueHD audio said metadata was packaged with. Atmos can only be delivered in conjunction with DD+ or TrueHD.

The AV receiver will display DD+ if and when that is the format it is receiving. If receiving this then that is what the source is outputting.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom