Help a newbie decide between these three tvs

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Serpico, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Serpico

Serpico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have a shortlist of three for my next TV. I'd appreciate any comments.

Philips 32PW9617C for around £1200
    Panasonic TX32PB50 for £1150
    Hitachi C36WF830N for £1500

or suggest an alternative. I'd like great picture and DD.

Should I be wary of buying from online retailers, with regard to warranty claims or just general dissatisfaction?

Thanks.

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Get the Philips, it will blow you away. I've got one and considered both the others. The Philips in fact has the same tube as the Panasonic, but is a much better implementation of it. As regards to online retailers... I don't want to generalise, but if there is somewhere you can go and shout(!) I prefer it. Plus larger retailers are less likely to disappear. I got John Lewis to price match Robertsons, giving them their Glasgow shop details. Tele is fine and I got a five year warranty. Only downside was that they made me pay £40 to deliver it as the store is in Bristol. Not bad eh?

3. lbushby

lbushby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rct,

I'm planning to do exactly the same thing i.e. get JL in Bristol to price match a 32PW9617C. Could you tell me the price you get yours for and which Robertsons store did you use (yell.com has several listed in Glasgow)?

Thanks.

4. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    lbushby,

Here's how I got my 9617:

Address for Robersons:

The Triangle Shopping Centre Bishopbriggs, Bishopbriggs, Glasgow.

Tel: 0800 052 1425

I asked John Lewis to pricematch £1230 which they did except they made me pay another £40 to deliver and install as I'm the other side of the Severn. = £1270 I dealt mostly with a chap called Geoff from Audio and TV and the pricematch took a week to process. Overall I'm very happy and have a 5 year warranty! :D Good luck with your purchase and let me know how you get on.

rct.

5. lbushby

lbushby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rct,

Thanks very much for the info and the quick response. I'll be paying John Lewis a visit tomorrow and I'll certainly let you know how I get on.

6. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, I've got the 36" 9607 Pixel Plus set and it is fantastic. Ignore the negative comments from the odd person, for the price it's the best 32"/36" by far.

7. Serpico

Serpico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've ordered the 36incher from Comet of all places in a package with a Phillips DVDR980 dvd recorder for less than £2000 combined. Allders here in Hull would price match, but wouldn't give the free extended warranty. The guy there said that he had no idea how Comet were doing this deal so cheap. Allders couldn't get me the kit in less than 6 weeks (or so they claimed) so I've ordered from the big C.

8. lbushby

lbushby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the price match with Robertsons failed :(

The woman at JL said that when their price match department did the investigation they were told that £1230 was for internet orders only - the high street price was £1500. I couldn't really argue with her - I think you might have got lucky rct ;)

Anyway in the meantime I have been into Hispek in Brentwood and got a price of £1312 for the 32PW9617 and £1588 for the 36PW9607 so have asked JL to price match again. I know that Hispek have the 32 inch in stock at that price so if JL decline to match again I think I'll argue my point this time.

The only other problem is deciding between 32 and 36 inches :confused:

Watch this space...

9. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it helps, I was gonna go for the 32" but went for the 36" and it certainly gets the wow factor everytime somebody new sees it!

It's amazing how quick you get used to the size, but it also makes everyone elses tv look tiny! I got mine for £1569 from John Lewis inc the 5yr warranty.

Cheers

B.

10. lbushby

lbushby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah - I had more or less decided on the 32 but when I saw the 36 in the shop the the indecision began...

I assume you did a successful price match to get yours for £1569, would you mind telling me which competitor you used just in case my latest attempt falls through - thanks.

11. lbushby

lbushby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Success - JL agreed both the price matches with Hispek and I have gone for the 36 @ £1588.

Only downside is that it will take 10-14 days before they have one in stock.