Help a newbee choose and install his components (please)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by naturally, Apr 23, 2002.

1. naturally

naturally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I am planning to buy some equipment, and need real help here. I am a real newbie trying to learn the ropes. Any and all help will be appreciated.

I am stationed in the middle east. So I have limited selection in shops and available brands.

This is what I am planning to buy:

Denon AVR-3802 receiver.
    Bose Accoustimaster 10 speakers. (5+1)

I already have:

Sony cineza projector.
    Philips DVD 955 DVD Player.
    Harman/Kardon CD Changer hooked up to a HK Graphic Equilizer.

These are my questions:

1. Will the two items I am planning to buy work well together. Someone was telling me that the ohm (sp?) measurement has lots of effect. Does this apply here ?

2. Will they work with what I have ?

3. Do they usually come with cables ? and are they adequate ?

4. How can I connect them together and to my equipment ? What are the best cables to use ?

5. I have downloaded the Denon manual from their site, and could not find-out how to connect the Bose sub-woofer to the Denon. Any help ?

All and any help will be appreciated. I live in a really remote area in the middle east and have to drive for many hours to get to the nearest place where they sell any cable. So I need to get my shopping list complete before shopping.

Thanks

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    1. Will the two items I am planning to buy work well together. Someone was telling me that the ohm (sp?) measurement has lots of effect. Does this apply here ?

Basically the will work together. The impedance (measured in "Ohm") needs indeed to be taken into consideration. The lower the impedance the higher the load to the amp. If you can choose 8 Ohm speakers (instead of 4 Ohm) then you are pretty safe - but usually you decide buy sound/looks/price and not by impedance.
    Note that also the sensitivity (measured in dB) makes an impact, the lower the harder to drive.

2. Will they work with what I have ?

Yes.

3. Do they usually come with cables ? and are they adequate ?

No and no. If there are any cables they are usually not adequate. However don't waste too much money on cables, around 10% of the toal budget should be sufficient (LS cables and interconnects).
    For the LS you can also use cable from the handy mart, 4 or 6 sqmm will certainly do - IMHO that is.

4. How can I connect them together and to my equipment ? What are the best cables to use ?

CD/GE to the analog input of the amp (CD in)
    DVD (video) directly to the projector, using component/RGB (best) or S-Video
    DVD (audio) directly to the Av amp (using coax or optical)

Any more specific advise would depend on the connections available.

5. I have downloaded the Denon manual from their site, and could not find-out how to connect the Bose sub-woofer to the Denon. Any help ?

Don't know the Bose sub. Is it active (own amplifer) or passive?

Normally subs in AV systems are active and connect via line level, ie. a normal RCA/phono lead.

3. naturally

naturally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Reiner for the help.

I did some background work and found that the Bose Sub is active and it receives all the channels from the Amp and distributes them to the satellite speakers. (I think I am getting hang of the terminology).

I read lots of bad reviews about the Bose speakers. I have Mirage and JBL available here. I was offered the JBL SCS 178 for less than half the price of the Bose set. BUT, the Bose can take up to 200 watts per channel, and the JBL can take 100 W per channel max. The Denon reciever can churn out 110 W per channel.

Will the JBL SCS 178 work fine with the Denon reciever ?

Is their a risk of damaging the speakers, or is this risk only if I turn up the volume very high ?

and lastly,

should I aim for speakers that can take more that what the Amp can provide, or isn't this necessary ?

Thanks for all the help

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You will not read many nice things about Bose on this forum either. They probably have a higher advertising budget than any other speaker manufacturer using the weekend colour supplements extensively at great cost.

This is all paid for by the end customer which is why it is recognised that Bose speakers are more expensive than their obvious competitors.

JBL used to be very big in AV in this country a few years ago but they have seemed to have become unfashionable. Whether that is because other speakers are now better I do not know.

Mirage do have a good reputation and should definately be on your short list but you really ought to try to listen to some before buying.

Don't take my word for it but try and arrange a demo of the Bose system and something else that costs the same and make your own mind up.

Having reread your last post I wouldn't worry too much about the power ratings and I definately wouldn't wire up the satellite speakers to the sub otherwise it defeats the object of the bass management in the Denon amp.

You need to wire all of the individual satellites to the amp and connect the subwoofer to the amp via a phono cable.

The cables won't come with the equipment and with the quality of stuff that you already have I would recommend decent interconnects and speaker cable as well to make the most of it.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I did some background work and found that the Bose Sub is active and it receives all the channels from the Amp and distributes them to the satellite speakers. (I think I am getting hang of the terminology).

Uh, that doesn't sound too good. To be perfectly honest I would perhaps choose another speaker system. Post a question into the speaker forum and specify your equipment, requirements and budget, surely you will get lot's of answers ....

6. naturally

naturally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to Reiner and Ian J for their answers. I learnt a lot.

I am restricted by the availability round here (in the middleeast). I checked the Speakers forum and they talk abot KEF eggs and B&W's and other myths that do not exist down here (the only eggs we have are the ones that come out of a chicken).

So I think the best I can do is to demo the available products and choose whatever sounds good to my ear.

I will probably Demo the JBL's, Bose and the Mirage. Although I am already inclined towards the JBL's because of the very low price factor.

Thanks again and God bless.

7. MunichMag

MunichMag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Naturally,

Which speakers did you go for in the end? If you got the JBLs I'd be interested in what you thought of them, as they are also fairly common and not too expensive here in Germany as well.

Richard.

8. naturally

naturally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi,

So many things have changed since the last post.

I ended up with 3 pairs of KEF Q1 and a SVS s20-39 PCPlus Sub. I could not be any happier with my system.

9. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    I have the Mirage AVS 500 satellites and one of their older subs.

IMO a truely awesome sound for the money. The sub could do with an upgrade but the satellites themselves are extremely clear and produce a very good range for the price.

I went to a local shop who are one of the only stockists in the UK, they tend to surprise a lot of people who are used to the KEFs, demoed together they were very close (with a 400 quid price tag difference!). They tried selling me the Omnisats but they were a little out of my price range, looked pretty sweet though.

The reviews of Mirage are generally pretty good, they are just not a big name in the UK, being a canadian company (similar to paradigm).

Heh, a little late I know :p

10. naturally

naturally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0