1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help a new guy!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by apemanmurray, Sep 30, 2003.

1. apemanmurray

apemanmurray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just recently purchased my first CRT - A Barco graphics 801s

I'm tyring to do a basic set up for now; until a friend of a friend who sets them up for a living can come and give me some help. However that's not going to be for a couple of months.

Anyway I'm slowly learning, but i do have a couple of questions.
    I was told i can't have it positioned under the coffee table on the floor - is this true, as its proving a bit of a distraction sat on top.

Also I would like it to be 8 foot wide, i know 7 ft if 119 inches from the lens - but i cannot download the distance software calculator (work pc ristrictions)

Also any tips would be handy or pointers to sites which could help in a basic set up. As i've already said i'm a bit....okay a total novice and i need all the help i can get.
    :blush:

I understand its very difficult to do, and maybe i've bitten off a little more than i can chew. But i was bored of those tiny LCD 's that you can hide away in the cupboard:laugh:

Thanks
    Mike.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once moved to the correct position- perform electrical CRT focus. (if it needs doing)

Then loosen each lens wingnut- then twiddle anti/counterclockwise until that lens is in focus (bring the red, green or blue only grids up) Tighten wingnuts.

Once that's done- adjust overall width & height, horizontol & vertical positioning, pincushion, trapeziod, then finally convergence.

3. apemanmurray

apemanmurray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, i crack on with that.

what about having it position on the floor is there a way aroundthis?

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can have it too low or too high- but you'll need the physical angle of the PJ, plus need to adjust with the trapezioid setting. Ideally it should be similar to the instructions or any liteature that's floating around the net.

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Mike there should be enough geometry correction to do this but you will need to crank the front of the projector up off the ground.

This should help a bit:
    Feed any old video souce into the projector and check in the geometry menu that the vertical raster shift for the green is set to 50%
    now reduce the V size to zero lift the front of your projector until the picture sits vertically in the middle of your screen.

Asuming you have no marks on your tubes the projector should be 3374mm measure to the front mounting rail under the projector for an 8ft image.

Ignore what the red and blue are doing for the moment concentate on getting the green picture correct.

6. apemanmurray

apemanmurray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help guys! Unfortunately i'm one of those people you've probably seen before, who jumped before he looked and assumed setting up a CRT projector wouldn't be THAT difficult - oops how wrong could a guy be!

But after reading all i did about CRT's picture quality i just couldn't resist!

No doubt i'll be back asking for more help very soon!

cheers
    mike.