Help a Man Choose a Sensible Upgrade

LJM182

Standard Member
Hello all- stumbled on this great forum doing some research on the next TV to buy. It’s like a minefield out there and I’m not great with all the tech words so please help a guy out and empathise with me :laugh: Last two years I’ve had a Panasonic TX-43GX555B

I think it’s really held it’s own for me on performance but sadly the backlight has failed and it’s probably time to look ahead for an upgrade.

Budget is probably between £350-£750 max which as I understand it rules me out of OLED range but might get me into QLED lower range.

So- what do i need? I’m a really simple bloke:

-Massive sports fan
-Have the SkyQ Ultra HD subscription (mainly for sport)
-Netflix & Amazon ultra HD content with the missus
- XBOX One X (The 4K one that released prior to the next gen consoles coming which I won’t get for a couple of years)

My Panasonic was solid all round. Wasn’t the brightest tv but was sharp and did a great job on normal (1080) HD channels and was good on 4K.

Not sure if any of you have Sky Q but other than some live F1 and Premier League in 4K, most of their whole package is broadcast in HD, so it’s essential to me that the TV is great at both 1080 and 4K ultra HD.

Long story short, I plunged on a Samsung TU7100 Crystal UHD model that was on sale. Looked excellent in the store and actually IMO looked better than the QLED Q60 Samsung model. The QLEDs looked awesome in 4K but shocking without 4k

Went for a 65 inch which I grabbed for £480 but it was so disappointing when I got home. Ultra HD looks solid as does HDR, but normal HD channels look pathetic on it compared to my old TV. The motion makes me dizzy almost and I just find the whole TV a massive annoyance. Any idea why? Flabbergasted at how bad it is.

-Is it just a poor TV?
- is it just too big for my apartment and I’m sitting too close? (Aprox 7ft away)
- is it the Samsung “4K upscaling” feature that’s causing the issue at 1080 content?

Anyway- I’ve sent it back and am looking for alternatives.

I keep reading about motion features and you’d think as an avid sports fan I’d need to focus on this? But my word it’s a minefield out there understating each brands motion features.

TVs catching my eye in my current price range:

Panasonic HX800B (talks about a 1600hz refresh rate - that’s absolutely massive compared to the native screen isn’t it? Is that good, does it work well and will that help my sports?)

Sony Bravia KD55XH8196BU looks like a good spec motion feature (400hz) for my price range.

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys- thanks very much :)

PS- HDR and 4K- are they separate things or do they work together (Eg 4K resolution and HDR colours?) or are they separate entities?

tvdavid

there not great tvs unless you need IPS.
this is the better one

if you need ips then get the Sony you liked to.

LJM182

Standard Member
there not great tvs unless you need IPS.
this is the better one

if you need ips then get the Sony you liked to.

Whats IPS mate? (Forgive my knowledge)

tvdavid

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Isn't the Sony 55xh90 just about there? It can be had for €979 here, so must be dropping towards 800ish there no?

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom