1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help a horny friend :)

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by hornydragon, Jan 13, 2004.

1. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    A mate of mine is off to canada for 6 months later in the year, He wants a camcorder (preferably Digital)to take footage while he is there and make me really jealous, Budget £300 max has be solid as possible!

NOW then i reckon his best bet would be to buy one out there, but will it be NTSC, is that a good thing???
    He will be taking a laptop with a DVD-writer drive to store footage.
    Which formats are better? DV, mini DV etc etc etc
    Do any manufacturers offer international warranty?
    Better to buy UK or Canadian???
    His parents have a place in spain and it would get used there too either before his canada trip and definatley after so is spain going to be cheaper???
    He would like ability to take stills as well and use at night in bars etc not wildlife (well at least not the type that won't perform with the lights on :D )

Any help appreciated, not a desperate purchase but the sort of features and specs to look for would be a huge help...

I know he is a lucky git but his HC is a 21" TV, PS2 and Packard Bell 5.1 DD kit!

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    At £300 I seriously doubt he will get anything that will work well in low light unless he goes for an analogue cam. Digital cams are nearly always bad in low light & the cheaper ones will be even worse as they will have a very small (1/6") CCD (the bit that picks up the light) and normally only 1 instead of 3 (1/4" or bigger) on the more expensive cams.
    Yes Canada will be NTSC and this is not a good idea if he wants to put his footage onto VHS as even though most PAL VCR's will play (to some degree) NTSC tapes they will NOT record them. A standards converter or PC software work out very expensive. Also if customs find it VAT & inport duty will be payable and end up costing him more money.
    (mini)DV cams are the most common, making it easier to get tapes while away. There are also MicroMV & Digital8 from Sony but would not recommend these. D8 are larger sized cams & MicroMV are not always compatable with editing software/hardware although they are very small cams.
    Most, if not all DV cams will be able to record stills to a memory card or to tape.

Mark.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    as he will be there for 6 months would he still be liable for Vat when coming back, (what are the chances of getting Vatted on a commercial airline flight with a camcorder???) obviously not in its box. If it was transfrred solely to DVD i guess it would still be NTSC but usable on any NTSC tv???

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    If you cannot prove you bought the camcorder in the UK then customs can demand VAT & inport duty. It is up to the traveler to prove it. The chances of actually getting pulled in is very small I would think.

Yes, a DVD player would still play it ok and most TV's can receive an NTSC signal ok.

Mark.

5. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes but many TV's will only show an NTSC signal in black and white.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    NOPE thats NTSC on a PAL TV NTSC compatible ones show in colour. all but the oldest dodgiest sets show NTSC.
    More bothered if NTSC would be lower quality than compatibility.

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Well PAL is a superior format to NTSC, hence the nickname Never Twice the Same Colour (or should that be color?).
    But on footage shot on a standard consumer camcorder I would not expect to see much, if any difference.
    After all if NTSC was that bad I can't see as many Region1 DVD's be sold as there are!

Mark.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    thanx mark I'll pass it on ireckon he is better off waiting till he is ready to go and hoping higher spec units are in his price range