1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help a home cinema newbie out (6.1 & 7.1)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by DaveN, Feb 8, 2003.

1. DaveN

DaveN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello. Im new here. Be nice. :)
    Up until now ive been using a basic all in one 5.1 set-up but im now looking into upgrading.

Stupid question really. Basically, id like to know what is meant by 6.1 and 7.1?
    Is 6.1 surround basically a 5.1 set-up with a centre rear speaker for DD EX and dts ES? And what the **** is 7.1?
    I was looking into buying a Denon 3803 amp. How many speakers would I need and where would they be placed?

Thankyou

2. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Welcome to the forum.
    6.1 and 7.1 is pretty much the same thing. Only a handful of DVD's has "true" 6.1 (DTS ES 6.1 Discrete), many has 6.1 ES/EX and none has 7.1 (yet).

In 7.1 you use 2 speakers for the surround back channel, these speakers plays the same channel (mono).
    In 6.1 you use 1 speaker for the surround back channel.

With the Denon 3803 you can chose to use 1 or 2 speakers for the SB channel, it have 7 channels of amplification.

I use 2 speakers for the SB channel with a Denon AVC A11SR. These are placed close to each other (1m), but gives a "wiider" image than 1 SB speaker. But it all depends on space, budget and personal preference offcourse.;)

Placement depends on your room. You need to have atleast 1m from the SB speaker(s) to the listening position. The surround speakers will be paced at the side of the listening position.
    Lots of info on placement if you do a search on the forum.

Good luck
    Regards Hans