1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help a frustrated Nokia Owner?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by BOFH_UK, Sep 16, 2004.

1. BOFH_UK

BOFH_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    You know normally I can put up with slightly suspect electronics but this ^&*(^!!! Nokia 221T is driving me up the wall!

After near constant tweaking to my setup I've finally got a decent picture out of it by giving it a dedicated power socket and feeding the signal through a couple of signal boosters. But while the Nokia handles low strength signals just fine it seems to be very sensitive to changes in signal strength. Worse, it has a tendancy to crash, though to its credit it does so in several different ways presumably to stop the user getting bored ;)

The problem is... when it DOES crash all I've got to do in practice is switch it off and on and it's fixed. This makes it difficult to justify buying a replacment and there's no way I'm going to trust magazine reviews again (top tip to all magazines reviewing freeview boxes: leave them on and unattended for AT LEAST a week before writing the review please, reliability is important, 'kay?) so over to you guys,

Whatever replaces it would have to have a 7 day EPG as that's a major reason to upgrade for me. I'm currently looking at the Sony D800 as it's got all the connections I need and I've seen great feedback on it, but is it worth it? Is the picture any improvment over the Nokia and is it more reliable? Is it, in short, worth the hundred quid it'll cost to replace what is at the end of the day a perfectly servicable (though thouroughly annoying) unit?

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My own Nokia 221T has been reliable for the last year since I got it. Mind you, my wife uses it, mostly, and doesn't do much "surfing". It seems to me that you have signal problems and probably some mains-borne interference, too. In that case you may have problems in finding a receiver that will tolerate it.

I would suggest that you fix your system. Start by installing a suitable aerial for your location. It's possible that a DAT45 with built-in "Margin Raising Device" would do the job, although this doesn't suit every circumstance. The cable should be double-shielded "satellite" coax with no joints or wall sockets. Keep it away from any mains power cables and other sources of interference.

Throw away any cheap "boosters" as they are likely to make it less reliable. Any amplification should be as close to the aerial as possible, otherwise you'll amplify noise picked up by the cable.

3. BOFH_UK

BOFH_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Unfortunatley putting up a new aerial isn't really an option as it's a rented flat and getting permission to do any sort of modification is a pain in the proverbial . On the other hand the whole block was renovated a couple of months back including replacing the main aerial and all the wiring and that gave a big boost to signal quality.

The boosters definately help, I've been trying different setups since upgrading in May and this is the best I've found by a long way. The picture does occasionaly break up but it's a LOT less than it was with the unboosted feed. Mains power I've tried a few things, including borrowing the mains conditioner that normally feeds our telephone switch in work, and while I'm sure some of the rare breakups are down to power spikes having a dedicated wall socket does seem to have solved most of those as well.

I used to have one of the old OnDigital Nokia's and that was far worse on picture quality but in three years NEVER had these sorts of problems. Just to give an example, the box will work fine, give picture and sound without a hint of breakup but will stop responding to the remote. Oh the light on the front will show it's recieving the remote signal but the box does diddly. I've even swapped the old OnDigital box back in and, while the picture is still considerably worse than the 221T, it went for two weeks with no problems where the newer unit froze three times in the preceding two weeks. Trying to surf through the channels can cause it to lock up on whichever channel you happen to be watching at the time.

As I said, the picture's fine, the sound's fine, breakups are rare and the actual performance of the unit is fine. It's the reliability that's driving me nuts. Under other circumstances I'd be thinking I got a bad unit, but there are enough tales of woe from other 221T owners here to make me think this might not be the case.

4. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please come back and let us know if/when you solve your problem. It will be interesting to know which receiver works under less-than-ideal conditions.

5. BOFH_UK

BOFH_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Of course I will. Got to talk the local currys into putting in writing that I can bring the Sony back within x days if I don't like it but should be able to do that tonight with a bit of luck.

While I think about it, isn't this the sort of thing the magazines should be doing? I know such testing is not exactly easy (unless there's a member of staff living in a poor signla area of course) but I can't believe that the majority of freeview boxes get installed in areas where there's a perfect signal first time out.

My gut feeling right now, after personal experience and reading through several on-line forums, is that the 221T is a great bit of electronics with some very dodgy software. If , as you seem to have, you can feed it a clean signal and smooth power supply it behaves itself but.... wait a minute, daft question. I've currently got it sitting on a glass shelf, I wonder if it's getting a static buildup from somewhere and can't earth? As I said daft question. Where was I? Oh yes, if the signal isn't perfect (and mine's running >90% at the moment) it can get a little bit, uh, tempremental with the problem getting worse with certain actions.