1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help a confused Arcam owner...!

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by GW43, Feb 27, 2005.

Tags:
  1. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    I currenly have an Arcam Alpha 7SE, and whilst very happy with it, a recent change in speakers (Tannoy 605 to Monitor Audio Silver S1) has given me a lot more detail and clarity. I'm beginning to wonder if a similar improvement could be had by upgrading my CD player (Amp is an Arcam Alpha 5 Plus). I have three options (possibly more) within budget and WAF.

Firstly, I could go down the route of upgrading the 7SE to the CD82 - I understand this is still available.
    Secondly, I could get the 7SE re-clocked by someone like Trichord
    Thirdly, I could bung the 7SE on E-Bay and use the cash towards a new CD73.

The final option has the merit of giving me a new transport - the 7SE has had quite a bit of use, but has never let me down.

Any thoughts/alternative suggestions?

2. dfindlay

dfindlay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my experience - and I've read this from learned audiophiles as well - upgrading your source components is the single best move you can make to improve the performance of your system. I recently upgraded my CD and DVD players and the difference was dramatic.

3. arcticpollen

arcticpollen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I have to say that normally I would look at the source components first but is the amp not getting a bit long in the tooth?

I had a quick glance at a couple of dealers' sites on prices for a CD82 and you are probably looking at anything up to £500.

I will shortly be putting an Alpha 8 integrated, an Alpha 8P and an Alpha 8SE CD player in the classifieds following a more "wife friendly" purchase of an AVR250 to replace a large stack of kit.

I seem to remember that most Monitor Audio speakers are bi-wirable. Can I suggest a "4th way"?

4. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    I moved away from bi-wiring a while ago - the old Tannoys gained a new lease of life when I reverted to a cheap single wire, as opposed to the bi-wire cable I had been using. They became more detailed and dynamic, so I held on to them for a while longer. Bi-wiring is snake oil selling as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not a techie, but I don't believe there have been radical developments in amp technology in the last ten years (other than multi channel, which I am not interested in). The amp still sounds fine, there are no unpleasant noises from the volume control or source selection, and it goes loud enough!

I'm also not a subscriber to the "new is necessarily better" school of thought - although "newer can be different", I would agree with. New products (in any field) are often released simply to placate dealers, refresh the sales effort and boost company profile - I work in marketing, so I know what happens!

All this makes me sound like a Luddite - I'm not, but given a straight choice I'd rather spend £400 on CDs than on hardware.

I'm just looking for a bit of advice without there being a vested interest at the end of it. A dealer I spoke to on the matter of the best option for the Alpha 7SE immediately plumped for the CD73 as the choice to go for - that's the one that puts the most on his revenue figures and probably gives the best profit.

5. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Have you considered a second hand alpha 9 cd player? I just replaced my 7se with a 9 on my second system with noticable improvements.

I would agree with arcticpollen though, I'm sure an amp upgrade would be well worth looking into.