1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!!!! - '95 Astra Speakers????

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by WBC, Mar 31, 2003.

1. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

I have a Pioneer DEH-P7400MP, If I wanted to change my stock speakers, without spending too much cash what would you recommend.

I'm happy to cut holes if I need to, but I'm not overly interested in large amounts of noise, I'd rather just have a nice quality sound!!!

Thanks
    Stace :D

2. minimad

minimad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stace

I can't really recommend any speakers, I'll leave that to someone else.

However, you can buy, if needed, adapters so that you can fit replacement speakers in the original locations. This will very much alleviate the need to cut big holes, and then just use small ones.

I've just put a 10 inch JVC sub in the boot of my mini and it has improved the sound no end, nothing over the top but the whole system now sounds "warmer" if that makes any sense.

Collin

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Infinity Car Speakers are worth looking at

You can get plastic speaker adaptors to fit decent 6" speakers without cutting the car.

I fiited 605cs to an Omega

4. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response guys. Where would I get the plastic adapters and are they manufacturer specific???

5. minimad

minimad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get the adapters from Halfords! :D

Yeah, I know, not the best place in the world, but at elast they sell 'em!

6. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help!!!!

Popped in Halfords tonite to look for those adapters. They didn't have any but I now know the ones you mean!!

What's the difference in 2 Way and 3 Way speakers as far as quality goes. While I was in Halfords I listened to a load of 17cm speakers on their display panel and to be honest they all sounded pretty ****!!!

Guess it had something to do with the display but if thats the case how do you know what you are getting. I've been bitten too many times by just buying the most expensive I could afford!!!!!!

Any suggestions???? Do I need to spend alot??? For example will a £40 pair of speakers sound much different to vauxhall stock???

Thanks Again
    Stace:D

7. minimad

minimad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2 way speakers will only offer mid and "tweet" (cymbals etc) sounds whereas three-ways will offer bass too. Yes, £40 speakers will almost definitely sound better than OEM speakers. Saying that, they will sound even better if you can run them off (even a small) amp, the sound will be smoother and more regulated.

Collin

8. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So any ideas on the Pioneer TS-A1710 's I can't find any reviews but they only seem to be around £50.

Anyone give me an answer to why speakers sound crap in the displays at halfords????

Stace :D

9. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry mate, that isn't quite the case, the range of 2way speakers will depend on their size, rather than the amount of drivers.

Anyway, I would recommend component speakers for the front of the car, probably 5 1/4 inch or 6 1/2.

OK, so you won't get a lot of bass, but the only way to get proper bass in a car is with a subwoofer.

In my opinion, you should consider looking long term for amped components in the front, with a sub in the boot. Nothing else is really needed.

As for good brands, Infinity, Focal, Alpine are all good, but my personal vote goes to JBL.

10. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I have some in my 2001 Astra and they sound very nice. Good value too.

11. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I don't think a sub is important

decent two way component speakers seem to be a good improvement.

12. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    First off, for the front speakers you should fabricate an adaptor as the stock speakers have fixing centres 120° apart and your replacements which should be 17cm won't fit properly ( they can be made to fit and some people find this acceptable ) unless you are lucky.A plastic adaptor can be bought which will house the correct size speaker. If you wish to put speakers in the rear i can sell you a pair of 5¼'' comps with silk dome tweeters for £40 +p&p :D

13. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Decent 2 way components are a definite improvement over any stock system, and over most co-ax speakers.

But, a sub is definately important if you want really good music in a car. I used to have the same opinion as you, until I got a sub, the difference is incredible.

Cars are a very bad audio environment due to their shape and the fact that you get such a high level of background noise. This especially affects the bass.

14. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'm still unsure of the need for a sub with music

15. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I know what you mean, like I said I used to have the same opinion, but then I got a sub in the car and my view has changed totally.

It all depends on what you want from your system, if you are happy with a set of components, then fine - it's your car after all.