HELP: 7MC Frequent Crashes - Freeview HD Channels Only

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by skaylesh, Jul 29, 2012.

1. skaylesh

skaylesh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All.

My HTPC running 7MC has started to crash frequently, but only when watching live or recorded freeview HD broadcasts. The crash log shows two programs or processes: ehshell.exe and atiumdva.dll. I know atiumdva.dll is related to my graphics card, but even rolling back to driver from 12.2 to 10.2 does not solve this issue.

Watching the task manager, I can see that ehshell.exe uses up increasing amounts of RAM as each tv program progresses.

My HTPC is based on a GA-MA78GM-UD2H motherboard, with 4Gb RAM, an ATI 5450 card and an Asus Xonar DG card. The TV tuner is a Blackgold BGT-3620. TV is connected via HDMI and 5.1 sound via analog to a Logitech z-5500 set.

I must also add that up to fairly recently, I have used this HTPC to watch freeview HD without problems for nearly two years.

Any help is much appreciated. Would dearly love to watch the Olympics in HD!.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. WheresMyArtisan

WheresMyArtisan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    It doesn't sound like anything that could be "fixed" to me. Probably just a random quirk or a case of Windows-rot (where it seems to self-destruct for no good reason).

Have you installed anything recently?

Is Windows Update updating automatically? My policy is to get it working then disable it - if it aint broke it doesn't need constantly messing with.

Have you used Windows Backup? If so then go back to when it worked.

If no backup, is a Windows Restore point available? If so then go back to when it worked.

If none of the above then get your Windows disk out - you could try a repair from the disk, if that fails then a full reinstall.

As you can tell from the above, I find troubleshooting Windows a bit pointless - I reckon I can reinstall it in less time than it takes to fix it!

3. nick8571

nick8571

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I can't really add much to the previous post, except that in my experience Windows 7 doesn't really suffer from "winrot" (at least not in the same way that XP and before did). Given that it was all OK until recently, it seems likely to be a specific change or event that's causing the problem.

One thing I would suggest is running the usual hardware diagnostics (memtest86, your HDD manufacturer's disk checking utility) if you haven't done so already - I'd guess it's a software problem, but in the event that it isn't, no amount of tinkering/reinstalling will fix it, so it's best to at least eliminate the possibility. You could also double-check your temps, particularly your 5450, as it will probably be working hard when it's dealing with interlaced h.264 content.

Other than that, yes, a reinstall is probably the way to go, especially if it's purely an HTPC and not used for other purposes - it might be the nuclear option and it won't earn you any geek points, but at the end of the day life's too short. :)

Once you've got it back fully functional, don't forget to create a backup image of your system partition, which you can roll back to in the event of future mishaps...