1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! 6ohm speaker 8ohm amp etc...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by minimal_fuss, Aug 1, 2005.

1. minimal_fuss

minimal_fuss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, im considering buying some speakers but they are '6ohm (40-200watt)'

My amp is 8ohm and gives 100watt per channel.

it my understanding that a lesser ohm speakers on a higher ohm amp will cause the system to run very hot?

Will the fact that im running the speakers at 100watt under their max capicity basically 'cancle out' the ohm difference?

2. Troon

Troon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    From the basics:

• speakers use power to produce sound.
    • the amount of sound produced per watt of power provided is the sensitivity
    • the signal to the speakers has two "components": voltage and current
    • power is voltage times current
    • an amp has independent voltage and current limits, although you may not be able to reach both at once
    • the ratio of voltage required to "push" a current through a speaker is determined by the impedance (resistance)
    • Ohm's law: voltage is current times resistance
    • simplistically, current causes things to get hot, not voltage

Your 6 ohm speakers will need more current but less voltage to produce the same volume as an 8 ohm speaker of equal sensitivity. If your amp is designed such that maximum power is developed into an 8 ohm load, you will probably hit the amp's current limit before you reach that power output with your 6 ohm speakers. At this point, the volume will be lower but the amp will be getting just as hot.

Note that "6 ohms" and "8 ohms" are very much average figures: it's not unusual for an 8 ohm speaker to present a 3 ohm or a 50 ohm load to the amp at certain frequencies.

Unless you regularly run your system to the max, I wouldn't worry about it. Modern amps will shut down if they get too hot, but I'd be surprised if you ever had that happen.