1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help 50hz\100hz -what to do.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by bill1962, Jan 3, 2002.

1. bill1962

bill1962

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I am afraid the more I read about 50hz v 100hz, the more confused I get. Can some body give me a breakdown of the pros and cons of both. Please bear in mind I am pretty naive when it comes to the jargon.

Here is my situation.
    I want a 32" Wide Screen TV and also a DVD player.
    So the TV will be used mainly for viewing via cable, sometimes for playing DVDs and hopefully (if I can twist my wife’s arm enough) for watching Sky digital. Unfortunately I don’t have the same range of TVs to choose from as is available in the UK. Dealers tend to stock much fewer models over here in Dublin.

I need to choose between 50 and 100hz TVs and have for example these choices:
    Philips (50hz)32PW6006 for €0849.00(approx stg£523)
    Philips (100hz)32PW9616/02N for €2093.00(approx stg£1288)
    Philips (100hz)32PW9536 for €2284.00(approx stg£1406)
    As you can see 100hz is more than double the price of 50hz. I haven’t started looking at DVDs yet, but that’s another story for another forum.

Please help..

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    50Hz pro

No A-D-A conversion

No artifacting

Cheaper

Lower power consuption

Cons

Flicker if you notice

100Hz pros
    No flicker

Cons
    Image looses colour depth
    Image can suffer from lag or artifacting

Try before you buy!

I prefer 50 some people 100

3. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could look at sets that allow you to switch between the two modes.

I have just purchased a Pana 42" RPTV which allows both (switchable).

To be honest, I can now see quite a marked difference with flicker on the 50hz that I never noticed before on my Sony 29".

I'm definitely coming down on the side of 100hz.

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget that some people can hear the frequency whine that 50hz sets let out. You can't hear it on the 100hz sets.

The further back you sit, the better the 100hz looks, the closer you sit the better it looks. 50hz sets are the reverse.

So, go take a look for yourself on a correctly set up tv and look at it from your usual sitting distance.

5. siwatkins

siwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm using a Philips 32PW9576 100Hz set, and I wouldn't go back. The latest revision I've got this morning has new software/hardware, and any artefacts I noticed previously that were due to the 100Hz have gone.

I really can notice the flicker in 50Hz TVs now - of any size. My Dad has a 21" Hitachi, and I don't know how he puts up with it. It's like the difference between having your computer monitor at a low refresh rate Vs a high one.

If you are used to a 50Hz, you can stay used to the flicker, but if you've had a 100Hz for a while, I think you'd have a hard time going back. 100Hz sets are a *lot* better now than they used to be.

Simon