Help 50" TV Recommendation please

Ascotbilly

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Afternoon, Visitor from the Hifi Forum here, I'm looking for new tv as follows and I'm hopeful you guys are as knowledge as the Hifi mob.
50" Max due to room location - will be cabinet not wall mounted
John Lewis , AV / Hifi Suppliers ie Richer Sounds, PeterTyson etc - DO not recommend anything from Currys - burnt once never again.
Viewing is 90% regular tv through Sky, Netflix, Amazon & Disney. 10% Blu Ray / DVD.
Many Thanks

Hey mate!
If you can afford it 48" OLEDs are the best picture quality you can buy sub 55".
Timing may be key at the moment, check prices on 2020 models at the end of their shelf life and try to find a deal on those, or wait for discounts on 2021 stock. Christmas/Black Friday sales are usually the firs time to consider buying a TV each year from this years lineups.

If you want an LCD TV instead 2020 search for Sony 49XH9505, or from 2021 Samsung 50QN90A

Cheers fella, I’m not sure I’ll see double the cost difference so I’ll stick with the LED I reckon and look at the Sony.

Any though on LG ? Never had one but they seem similar price to Sony/Pana but are they same quality

Also your thoughts pls on Samsung in that range as feedback Ive gotten suggest they’re very love/hate

LG LCD TVs are behind the curve compared to their counterparts. They are fine TVs for SDR but don't make the cut with HDR.

Choice is very thin at smaller sizes and its even worse in 2021 lines, its really only the Samsung I mention that's a decent spec LCD TV from 2021, other than that you're looking at OLEDs.

Samsung TVs are very striking, but not as accurate as Sony. They favor crushing some black detail and highlight detail in favour keeping blacks black, whereas Sony will have less uniform screens in darker conditions, but they will be more accurate.

People who prefer video>games will go for Sony over Samsung usually for better motion.

@Dodgexander
Many thanks, I’ll check out LED’s over the next weeks. Finishing a room refurb and existing tv is going in there, the new one is for the main family viewing room

Beware that the Sony 49XH9505 is a 2020 model and may already be next to impossible to find. That leaves you with a choice of the Samsung 50QN90A or an OLED next year, with no other LCD TVs worth contemplating due to lower spec.

The new Sony XH9505 is the X95J which starts at 65". A growing trend in recent years is for manufacturers to stop selling higher end TVs at smaller sizes unfortunately.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom