1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - 5.1 Speakers for approx £2k?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by bl0498, Jan 5, 2005.

1. bl0498

bl0498

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

New to this forum - a little help required please!

I have an Arcam DV88 DVD player connected to my 4 year old Philips 32inch TV, and Sky+. I will be getting the Arcam AVR300 receiver and need some help with speaker suggestions for both films and music (The DV88 is pretty reaonable with CDs). I also have a separate Arcam CD93 CD player/A80 amplifier with Dynaudio 52 speakers in another room.

Frankly I don't want to spend hours in shops after booking appointments etc - when we have done this before we have come away more confused than happy! (apologies to any retailers out there!!)

I quite like the sound of our existing Dynaudios for stereo. Thus one set of shops suggested Dunaudio 52s for the front, 42 centre - with 42W speakers at the rear. Subwoofer to be Quad/M&K etc. Any comments on this?

Alternative chain suggested M&K K17 (fronts and centre), K4 rears and K10 subwoofer. Is this better - despite the smaller physical size of these speakers? - and the metal cheesegrater effect!

Another suggested alternative is the Quad L series range 12/11 and subwoofer?

Would welcome comments on the above sets and anything else we have comprehensively missed in this price range. The room is approx 7m long (window almost the entire length of one side) x 4.5m wide and 3m high with the TV in one corner - the rears will be forced on to the top of a long wall unit. Seating position is approx 3m from the TV.

Many thanks,

Brian

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    M&K make some great speakers for movie watching but many people find them too clinical for music.

Audio Excellence have an ex demo Proac Hexa 5.1 system reduced from £2,500 to £2,000 which may be of interest here

3. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I've got the K17s and K4 but the V1250THX Select sub. Had it for about four months now and really really pleased. I'm actually in the process of connecting it all up to my new DV79 and AVR300 tonight. Very excited!

The Dynaudios are very good speakers too though. I've heard the 52s in a music set up and they were fantastic. I've got a pair of 40s too and they are excellent as well.

Get 'em demo'd! A decent dealer will be able to help you there. Either system should be pretty damn good. You're really into the realms of personal taste now!