• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help!!46"-50" lcd or plasma help to find A+tv

J

Jonez 1977

Hi I'm after a 46-50" tv 1400 pound limit!
live in north wales so not many good av shops about!:thumbsdow
Watch mostly sd sky with ps3 gaming and sd dvds and blurays, will upgrade to sky hd when more channels come avalable!
i've looked at the 46w4500 liked, but then read about clouding isues.
Next was the Samsung LE46A786, good review except for sd use!
Then came the Panasonic 46PZ85 and may be the 50Z800 at a big push.
I watch the tv about 3.5 meters away! If anyone could help,would be greatfull!
Also thinking of the Sony RHT-G900/1500 to keep other half happy (no wires)!any reviews. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

KUBBY

Hi,
I dont have any problem with the SD Freeview picture on my Samsung.In fact I am very happy with it.
Mine came from B.E Direct for £1263 and included a 5 yr warranty and a DVD player. That offer is now at an end and I think the price is now about £1150.

All makes of this equipment can have problems and,to be honest,you dont see many posts on here from people who are completely satisfied with all aspects of their Tvs.

It is fair to say that Samsung's Customer services leave something to be desired but, I am on my 3rd Samsung now and the other two are still going strong.

I would recommend this set.

Good Luck,

KH

J

Jonez 1977

Cheers for info! I love the look of the Samsung!
At the moment i've got a phillips 42" hd ready tv approx 3 year old with pixel plus 2! Do you think the Samsung would be on par or better using sd sky? I know the bigger the screen the more problems you get,But i'm thinking newer technology better picture.HOPEFULLY!

Monarch

Distinguished Member
I have the Panasonic 37PX80 and it's great and I've heard nothing but better about the 46PZ80, you'll be very happy with that. on the PX80 PS3 gaming is stunning as is blu-ray, and in 1080p it'll be even better! SD is also very good, go for that, there are very few issues with the problems that plasmas are associated with like IR and, although there is some, Phosphorus blur is pretty low, it only happens on very fast moving objects which are hugely contrasting to the background (black on white or vise versa) and its much less noticeable than motion smearing on LCDs (although this is an opinion, some people can see it more than others).

You'll be happy with either the Samsung or the Panasonic though, my personal preference is the Panasonic 46PZ80

KUBBY

I have no experience of Philips sets,however,one of the latest, and very expensive, 42pfl9903H gets very good reviews for picture quality.

The only answer is,read ALL the reviews of every set you are considering and
see as many of them in action as you can.

It doesnt matter how much or indeed,how little you are spending on a set,you have got to be happy with it on every level.

Good Luck

KH

Monarch

Distinguished Member
I hear phillips have some the best technology so they are capable of the some of the best TVs so they do have some absolute gems, as KH1096 said just get a small-ish list of a few that you like the look of and read all the reviews you can find of them. Remember that expert reviews often critisize things that you wont even notice but user reviews are often written by people who dont know what theyre talking about so read them all. Look trough threads on forums like this one where there are regular people with normal requirements so they dont go into stuff that you wont notice but they know what theyre talking about so you get a good viewpoint.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom