1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP !!! 4:3 display problem...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jasonte, Jul 18, 2001.

1. jasonte

jasonte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok .. I have a Yamaha DVDS510 and a TOSHIBA 2163DB tv which isn't widescreen but 4:3.. I have entered 4:3 panscan on the DVD setup menu but the output stays in widescreen/letterbox format for all DVD's . Is there a way to get round this ? can i get my output "stretched" to cover the full screen. any help/advice would be appreciated, thanx..

2. ultimatenyle

ultimatenyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,984
    Your 4:3 Pan&Scan "mode" on your DVD player is there to take advantage of a code that can be added to a DVD to instruct the player how to pan&scan a wider image.

Unfortunately for you, hardly any DVDs have this code. The only ones I know of are the Stargate SG1 TV series.

But I must ask a question.....

If a film was originally shot in a widescreen ratio.....

Do you REALLY want to stretch and distort the image just so it will fill your screen?

Or would you rather have DVDs that are made fullscreen pan&scan - so that you miss out on the left and right sides of the picture?

I know it isn't just me; I would find either of these alternatives (there aren't any more, I'm afraid) totally unacceptable.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For 4:3 Pan & Scam mode to work the disc must be anamorphic widescreen and have pan &scam flags encoded on to the disc.

Most discs don't include the pan & scam flags because, they use a lot of disc space and can decrease picture quality as their is less space for the movie.

All the discs which have Pan & Scam flags do not actually pan & scam instead they just crop the picture to the center of the widescreen image, this means you end up with a totally misframed picture and the people and action go off screen a lot of the time.

5. stephenc

stephenc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +380
    Jasonte,

Does your Toshiba 4:3 TV have a 16:9 mode, I know mine does??

Then you code set your DVD player to widescreen and the 4:3 TV will automatically flick to anamorphic widescreen to view the DVD.

However, you still have black bars at the top and bottom, but the picutr quality is improved dramatically.

HTH,

Stephen.