1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! 32FX66 Color/Contrast Setup + Connections

Discussion in 'TVs' started by NicktheNorse, Jan 19, 2003.

1. NicktheNorse

NicktheNorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just got this TV yesterday, but im a bit puzzled by certain things.

first off, ive read many places that the default contrast/brightness/color settings on the tv are very bad - ive been playing around with the levels but i don't really know where to stop! is there tell tell signs that indicate a good balance of the three sliders?

and as for connections, ive got a Mico DVD player and sky digital - sky box goes into AV1 and ive enabled RGB in the digibox settings. The DVD player is connected to AV2 (which is also capable of accepting a RGB signal) but when i set the player to output in RGB the image gets a horrible green tint - when its set to S-Video output on the mico box the picture looks fine, except for the fact that AV2 on the tv isnt meant to accept an S-video signal........ :confused:

I've read that RGB gives better quality than s-video - and id like to have the dvd player's connection for sure be RGB, but as ive said that doesnt really work.

finally, the TV seems to have a slight upward bowing of the picture - but only near the bottom of the screen - ie, when ive got the sky channel menu up it looks like an upside down V (though its very subtle - but still visible). Is there anything i can do to fix this? it doesnt seem to appear at the top/middle of the screen.

im using standard £10 gold plated scart cables, nothing fancy....

I appreciate any help!
    nick

2. ryanos

ryanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As for the picture settings i'm using Movie mode with slightly increased contrast this has given me the best balance of picture but I know what you mean about playing around with the settings as it took me about 3 weeks to sort one out that I like ......and what I would say is once you have found a setting you like LEAVE IT!! or you will be back to square one in no time.......Mine also has the slight bow apparently it can be cured in the service menu but I have not mustered up the balls to have an attack on it yet as you can seriously wreck your set in this facility;)

3. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 28" version of this set - but the controls are the same. You've probably realised that the "Live" setting should be avoided at all costs, as it puts the Contrast up to maximum, and turns the picture dayglo! "Movie" is quite a good compromise, but very slightly soft for my liking. I have set "Personal" roughly as follows:
    Contrast about 40% (the display bar reaches the letter "r" in Personal - if you get my drift)
    Brightness about 50%
    Colour the same as Contrast
    Sharpness the same as Brightness

Incidentally, Sharpness which is "greyed out" when watching an RGB source can be adjusted for the RGB picture if you first switch to a composite feed (e.g. analogue TV), adjust the sharpness and then go back to an RGB feed - it retains the setting.

For most TVs of this type you shouldn't really have to set the Contrast, Colour and Brightness much beyond 50% - too much of anything will cause the picture quality to suffer.

Generally it takes a while to get it as you like it - but persevere, it's worth it in the end!

4. NicktheNorse

NicktheNorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    ok ill try those two suggestions.... BUT, when do i know i have the best image? tbh once i've watched the standard setting "personal" for 10 mins the picture looks fine, and after 10mins of the stock "movie" setting i like the picture just as much!! aren;t there any specific screens i can look to help me out?

o, and does any1 know anything about the dvd player? the dvd player is plugged into AV2 (RGB capable) but when i play in RGB mode the screen is all green. IF i switch the DVD player to S-video it looks fine - BUT, AV2 doesnt accept s-video!!!

5. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    It should not make much different but have you set your dvd player to RGB. Should not make much different if it set to any other setting.

6. ryanos

ryanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    There is no perfect setting its just simply down to personal taste some people may even like the 'Live' setting!!!

So don't keep looking for the 'percieved' optimum setting coz' there aint one its all down to what you like and what you have connected,aerial strength,dvd quality,sky input etc...........

If you find a setting you like stick with it although I will try Alan's tip myself just out of curiosity lol !! :D

Good luck:)

Sorry ain't got a clue about your dvd i'm afraid sorry:confused:

7. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Seriously, when your happy with it.
    A set up disc will prove invaluable.You may already have a disc with THX optimizer on it.

8. yetiuk

yetiuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually there is a correct setting.
    Using a disc like Video Essentials, which comes with a blue piece of film, you can set colour (or blue level anyway), brightness, sharpness and tint to there correct values. The only subjective setting is contrast, as to set the white balance you need some pretty expensive equipment.
    I was impressed with the accuracy of my FX66, a lot better colour reproduction than my old sony.
    I will check on my values tonight and post some levels. Of course the levels will be different from set to set.

9. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To adjust the sharpness of a scart input RGB picture....
    Select an analogue channel
    Select Menu - Picture - Sharpness so that you have the sharpness bar on its own at the bottom of the screen.
    Use the AV select button to switch to your RGB source.
    The sharpness bar remains on screen and active allowing sharpness adjustment of a RGB source while watching it.
    Please note that there is a subtle link between sharpness and peak white level on sony chassis. Try adjusting the sharpness with white captions on screen, above a certain level the whiteness will increase, in my experience this is the correct sharpness level.

10. ryanos

ryanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well I'll be damned!!.........where would i be able to obtain such a disc?

11. yetiuk

yetiuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe they have stopped make Video Essentials, as they are bringing out a new version. The original was mainly for 4:3 setup. It only has a couple of anamorphic test patterns on it.
    It comes with a blue filter, which allows you to change tint and colour to the correct values. It also goes into detail on how to setup your DD sound. It really is a truly usefull disc.
    Have a look at www.videoessentials.com for more info.

I have seen it in HMV before, but it was very expensive (about £50), probabley worth waiting for the new version.
    The Ultimate Platimum may also do the job, but I haven't seen or used this disc.

12. Mark Spanner

Mark Spanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Maybe you should try the THX optimizer that comes with most THX certified DVD's.
    That sounds as though it has similar things but is free! :)

The only DVD I have that has the optimizer is Monsters Inc. although I'm sure there are loads more.

13. yetiuk

yetiuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haven't used the THX optimizer, so cannot comment of the test patterns, but VE contains a blue filter which is necessary to correct colour (and tint on NTSC).
    I believe you can buy these from VE. Just looking, it seems you send an envelope to them and they will send you a blue filter.
    Also amazon.com is selling the disc ..... for $150!!!:eek:

14. Mark Spanner

Mark Spanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You need the blue glasses for one section of the THX optimizer (look like those old 3D specs.)

$5 though for international orders from THX.com ($2 if you are in th US.)

Had a look at the VE site - looks more in depth than THX Optimizer but I would expect that as you have to pay.

I found that the THXopt was fine for my system.

15. ben_e71

ben_e71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    :D Alan used your setting they are spot on I had fiddled for a few weeks but these are excellent for watching Sky Digital RGB

thank

16. Nik73

Nik73
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,006
    Alan, I could kiss you!!!!!!!!!!!

I was starting to get stressed cos I couldnt get a decent picture from my £1000 tv! It looked all grainy especially up close and the shimmer was awful, particularly skin tones!

My beloved Buffy dvds looked shocking, worse than VHS! It's a hell of a lot better now. Cheers Alan.

Is it normal for the picture to look a bit grainy and shimmery when youre 2ft from the screen? Obviously I dont watch it from this close but when changing dvds I cant help but notice.

17. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you liked the settings!!
    They seem to work for most of my viewing (although my Futurama DVDs are SO bright, I may have to tweak!). It helps that the Sony RGB inputs seem to match other inputs, in terms of brightness. With my old TV [Hitachi] the RGB input was always too bright - so everytime I played a DVD I had to turn the brightness down.

As regards "grainy and shimmery" close up - a bit of a 100Hz thing I think. Part of the process of appearing to enhance the picture resolution at "normal" viewing distances seems to be that they don't look so good close up! Wouldn't worry about it too much...

All I need to do now is get the buzzing fixed [or hope it dies down after a while]