HELP - 2TB box, Dolby Atmos and Netflix dilemmas!

Amish

So let me set the background.

Just upgraded my TV and sound system to: LG OLED65GX6LA and Sonos Surround Sound (Arc, Sub + 2x Play 1s)

I have the UHD package on the Sky Q 1TB UHD box.

So, here are my dilemmas/questions:
  1. Is it worth it to upgrade to the Sky Q 2TB box given it is the only one that supports Dolby Digital Plus? Would be good to know if it makes a difference on the channels- I do mainly watch TV shows and Sports (Football etc.) as opposed to movies, which I use Netflix and Amazon Prime for.

2. NETFLIX - With the UHD package I am getting this for about £6/month so it seems to make sense that I would merge my accounts and stop paying Netflix £12/month BUT if I have understood correctly, Netflix on Sky Q has the HDR picture but does not support Dolby Atmos whilst the native app on my LG does (and sounds amazing!) So, again if I have got this right, Netflix on Sky Q will provide the better picture, and the native app will provide the better sound? I'm steering to just using the stand alone app based on what I have read but happy to be corrected/challenged! Would be good to save money, but I also want to utilise my set up to the best of its ability considering I have invested in them :)
Thank you so much in advance.

bingodisco

Yep, pay Sky for Netflix (I pay £4 for the Ultimate TV add-on which gives Netflix Premium) then watch as usual on the Netflix app on my TV or via Firestick 4K. The Sky Q Netflix app is awful.
If you upgrade to a 2TB Q box you also run the risk of getting the dreaded audio drop-outs which are affecting many people who own the newer V3 Sky Q boxes.

Amish

Thanks everyone

logiciel

simon194

Yep, pay Sky for Netflix (I pay £4 for the Ultimate TV add-on which gives Netflix Premium) then watch as usual on the Netflix app on my TV or via Firestick 4K. The Sky Q Netflix app is awful.
If you upgrade to a 2TB Q box you also run the risk of getting the dreaded audio drop-outs which are affecting many people who own the newer V3 Sky Q boxes.
The audio dropouts also affect the V2 boxes as well because both versions use the same SoC.

V3 boxes apparently in short supply at the moment. Audio drops not something I have experienced with the V2.

dbwinter

1. Is it worth it to upgrade to the Sky Q 2TB box given it is the only one that supports Dolby Digital Plus? Would be good to know if it makes a difference on the channels- I do mainly watch TV shows and Sports (Football etc.) as opposed to movies, which I use Netflix and Amazon Prime for.

2. NETFLIX - With the UHD package I am getting this for about £6/month so it seems to make sense that I would merge my accounts and stop paying Netflix £12/month BUT if I have understood correctly, Netflix on Sky Q has the HDR picture but does not support Dolby Atmos whilst the native app on my LG does (and sounds amazing!) So, again if I have got this right, Netflix on Sky Q will provide the better picture, and the native app will provide the better sound? I'm steering to just using the stand alone app based on what I have read but happy to be corrected/challenged! Would be good to save money, but I also want to utilise my set up to the best of its ability considering I have invested in them :)
Thank you so much in advance.

Yes to the Sky Q box for watching Sky TV only.

Purchase an Nvidia Shield for watching TV apps and this will give the best picture possible with full 24/50/60 Hz support (the Sky Q box will have juddering on films and on many broadcast as it only supports 50Hz).

You'll need the Netflix UHD package to get the best out of your TV, likewise for Sky TV as-well.

wadgel99

Standard Member
So let me set the background.

Just upgraded my TV and sound system to: LG OLED65GX6LA and Sonos Surround Sound (Arc, Sub + 2x Play 1s)

I have the UHD package on the Sky Q 1TB UHD box.

So, here are my dilemmas/questions:
  1. Is it worth it to upgrade to the Sky Q 2TB box given it is the only one that supports Dolby Digital Plus?

Both the 1TB UHD and 2TB UHD boxes support DD+. But is only used for shows/films with ATMOS

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom