Help! 12v AC Supply

steviebwoy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Cornishman living in Cheltenham, following the mig
Hi all,

The good lady and I have just been out and bought a small fish tank for our kitchen, We've got a proper tank in the lounge, but wanted to run a smaller tank for a couple of goldfish.

In our infinite wisdom we ended up buying a Fluval Chi fish tank from our local store. It was ex-display and only set us back £25. Hurrah, thought I.

The only problem with it, is that it didn't come with a power supply. The bloke in the shop told us that it would only cost us "£6 or so online", however I haven't the foggiest what we're actually looking for.

The end of the cable has a plug on it which would presumably have run into the transformer. It says 12V/AC 400mA 4.8VA on it, and I think it's a 2.1mm plug, but I'm not really sure.

I've found a replacement power supply on the official site (http://uk.hagen.com/Aquatic/Replacement-Parts/A13950), but was just wondering if you guys could recommend an alternative for "£6 or so online"!

Thanks in advance guys! :smashin:

Stontronics 12V AC 1A UK 2.1mm AC AC Plugtop Adaptor T2524ST

It's a higher current rating but that's a good thing. prices are ex-VAT & delivery is a bit steep but if you can confirm it's what you want, I can pick one up & post it at cost. Hagen CS are normally very helpful so maybe ask them to confirm the jack size.

Last edited:
£6.97 with VAT + £2.20 2nd or £2.70 1st class. May be worth checking with Maplin if you have one local. If they do one it will almost certainly be more expensive but there won't be any post & you can take the tank in to make sure the plug fits.

Edit
Looks like their cheapest option is this but it has multiple tips so one of them should fit! Cheaper than Hagen who will charge P&P but around the same price as the proper replacement delivered here.

Edit 2
Harding in the High Street may be worth a try. No web site so I don't know what they actually sell.

Last edited:
Check CPC, usually really good for this sort of thing. Website isn't brilliant though.

Check CPC, usually really good for this sort of thing. Website isn't brilliant though.
Same problem as Rapid though, pricing is ex-VAT & P&P is excessive for low value orders.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Last edited:
Edit : just out of interest; am I right in thinking that something like this won't do the job?
Universal AC/DC MAINS POWER ADAPTOR 300MA 3/4.5/6/7.5/9/12 VOLT: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

None of these are suitable, all three have DC outputs only.

Best to go with crocodile's find, you'll have it next day for under £13. :smashin:

All of the above are DC output whereas the OP said he needed AC. I'd definitely be inclined to confirm the specs with Hagen just to be sure.

None of these are suitable, all three have DC outputs only.

Best to go with crocodile's find, you'll have it next day for under £13. :smashin:

All of the above are DC output whereas the OP said he needed AC. I'd definitely be inclined to confirm the specs with Hagen just to be sure.

Completely missed that it was an AC output, sorry... :blush:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom