Help - 1.70 Update has ruined my controller...

Master Yoda

Established Member
Reaction score
Ummmm - My PS3 was working fine with 1.50 and 1.60 but for some reason after installing 1.70, the 6-axis tilt control is now all over the place, especially bad on Flow...

If I put the controller on a flat surface, it is moving things on screen randomly in all directions.

I followed the instructions to the letter when doing the update and already had my controller plugged into the USB when I did the update...

I understand that the update may have altered the controller's firmware, given that it has to be plugged in during the update...

What is going on??? Is my controller ruined permanently? I can't see any option to revert back to 1.60 or to reinstall 1.70? Anyone else having this problem???

Not too happy about this, as my 6 axis control was super accurate before doing this update. What should I do???

if it updated anything on the controller, then surely it would tell you to connect all your controllers (if you have more than one) during the update, so that it can update them all

if it updated anything on the controller, then surely it would tell you to connect all your controllers (if you have more than one) during the update, so that it can update them all

Yeh - That's what I originally thought, but it doesn't make any sense why 'any' controller should have to be plugged in during this update, unless there was a firmware change taking place.

Yeh - That's what I originally thought, but it doesn't make any sense why 'any' controller should have to be plugged in during this update, unless there was a firmware change taking place.

I think the controller has to be plugged in as the wireless doesn't work during the update and seeing as you need to press buttons during the process it has to hard wired.

I suspect it makes you connect the controller in case the update alters any of the bluetooth implementation during the update process, so that you will still be able to press "ok" etc

EDIT: YEH WHAT HE SAID ^^^ :)

Hmmm - Given what you are saying, I don't understand why my 6 axis control has lost accuracy and is moving randomly immediately after doing the update(?)

Super Rub a Dub tilt control seems OK (slightly worse maybe), F1 seems slightly worse but still works, but Flow is now completely unusable. I can be tilting the controller heavily to the right and things on screen can actually go left(!)... Like I said before, if I put the controller on a flat surface in Flow, before the update it would be perfectly still on screen, but now, things move all by themselves in all different directions (sometimes really fast too!). It has completely ruined the game and made it unplayable... Before this update, Flow was the most accurate 6 axis game I had.

Has anyone else had similar problems after doing the update? There is no way I can be the only person experiencing this problem after doing the update... :confused:

I thought that I should take my controller back and get a new one, but if you are saying that the controller wasn't modified during the update, then I guess there would be little point... :(

When does it ask you to connect the controller? after it has finished installing the update and then rebooted?

If there was a update surely they would have said so on the update specifications.

Personally plugging the gamepad in just sync`s it again with the console, thats all, not updating anything in the gamepad itself.

If it was a firmware update for the gamepad, why didnt they make sure you plugged each pad in, considering ive got two gamepads..!!!

So long story short, I think that the new update has nothing to do with the controllers, must be in the PlayStation3 where the update has messed something.

Riz:smashin:

No - It never mentioned plugging in additional controllers...
Well this pretty much it what I was saying in my post above... if there was a firmware update for the gamepad then surely it would have required you to plug in the second gamepad at somepoint for its firmware.

My gamepads seem to be working fine but ive not tested any sixaxis games..... will test them in the next 30 mins and post my results.

Well this pretty much it what I was saying in my post above... if there was a firmware update for the gamepad then surely it would have required you to plug in the second gamepad at somepoint for its firmware.

Thats exactly what i said in post #2

The only other reason i can think that it would need you to plug the controller in for is just so that it ensures you have a charged/charging controller so the battery wont die in it half way through the update

Either way, I've just tried Flow on both my controllers (one was plugged in during the update, the other wasnt) and both work fine

I wasn't able to connect to the internet wirelessly for about 24 hours after I updated. Strange :confused:

I wasn't able to connect to the internet wirelessly for about 24 hours after I updated. Strange :confused:

OT but....

Which ISP are you using? Some ISPs are being naughty with their customers and PSN... LINK... and LINK

EDIT Oops - should've asked - could you connect hardwired?

Could you be getting interference perhaps - I don't know if you can change the wireless channel the controller uses, but that may help.

Also, maybe recharge the battery, as mine got a bit flakey last night, when the battery level got a bit low.

OT but....

Which ISP are you using? Some ISPs are being naughty with their customers and PSN... LINK... and LINK

EDIT Oops - should've asked - could you connect hardwired?

belkin router, virgin BB. I didn't try the ethernet cable. that was plugged into the 360 and that was working fine. Anyhow, problem seems to have gone now. the PS3 was picking up my router as it showed the signal strength to 87%, just couldn't find an IP address.

its all in your head mate.

dont forget the controls on Flow are inverted anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom