1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! £800 to spend on sound system, which one??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by wynouk, Apr 27, 2002.

1. wynouk

wynouk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got around £800 to spend on a home cinema 5.1 / DTS amp with a fm receiver on it and a full set of speakers and subwoofer to match.

whats your recommendations on amps and speakers and the best place to buy

:confused:

2. Raveun2

Raveun2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well....Buy a copy of HCC or what hi fi and research. They have plenty of adds and recommendations. But like they all say "listen before you buy". And this is especially true for speakers as they all different. Some good for dance music, some for classical. It's a question of the which movies you like. Action you will need something good with dance music, lots of bass but controlled. Get floorstanders if you can but if they will get in the way then bookshelfs speakers.

Any good hi fi retailer will set you up with what you're looking for. I've found Musical images very good but for £800...well, you might use that as your deposit. You my well fall in love with those sexy looking (and sounding) KEF reference speakers they my tease you with. £1000+

Richer sounds is a good place to go for a budget system. But always try and demo first. Pick 2 or 3 to demo and pick the one you like.

Now this is my opinion from demos I've heard in shops and shows. Everyone will have a different opinion because everyone is different but I would Demo amps from:
    Yamaha (I own)
    Denon
    Sony

Speakers:
    Kef
    Acoustic energy (I own)
    B+W

Gales from Richer Sounds too.

I'm going by what I heard but there are others I haven't but a good assistant will be able to recommend speakers to suite your taste.

A sub will put a dent in your budget as I personally think you need to spend at least £300 for a decent one. Anything less you my be wasting your money as your speakers you get my be adequate. A demo of a low price sub and mid price sub will prove my point.

Good luck...you're about to be bitten by a nasty expensive bug

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive been contemplating a reciever+speakers for a few months- searched this forum, read reviews etc

After all that i came to the same conclusion that i could have after just a couple of hours reading here....

Marantz 5200, Mission 73 package.

Of course i havent heard them but from what ive read you cant go far wrong with these for £800.

4. Raveun2

Raveun2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't ever demo just one make, though. Shortlist 2 or 3 makes atleast.

5. The Huss

The Huss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just auditioned the Denon 2802 matched with Mission FS2 AV package...the combo falls (just outside) your budget.

For me this set-up sounded excellent. Particualry for my own circumstances and budget (I have a small room just 14' x 10').

As you are able to mount the speakers to the wall the additional cost of stands is avoided which can eat significantly into this sized budget.

The Denon was particulary impressive. The Mission's are clever but not to everybody's tastes. Some say they lack midrange..but I don't have that degree of skill to tell.

To me they sounded good and I suppose that's what it's all about.

Well worth a listen.

regards:D