• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help! £300 to spend on AV Receiver and Speakers

Loafingwafu

Standard Member
This is probably a very common topic, but I can't seem to find any recent results in a search and I'm also getting very lost in all the different makes and models.

Basically I have up to £200 to spend on a receiver and about another £100 on speakers. What I'd like to achieve is a 5.1 setup with the following devices.

1. Sky+ HD box
2. PS3
3. Connect my iPod
4. Wii

Output to a 37" LCD Toshiba jobbie.

Annoying that I seem to have missed out on the discounted Sony STR-DA2400ES for £200.

Any advice would be appreciated, including if you think I should wait off until the January sales.

Thank you in advance!

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Onkyo HTS3305 or HTS5305? The 5305 is the one to get out of the two. They're about as cheap as I would go.

I don't know what retailers are planning but remember the VAT goes up in Jan.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I would second the Onkyo suggestions above. You could also look at the Onkyo HTX 22HDX as well.
You really need more than £100 for a 5.1 speaker set unless you go secondhand. This is because a sub will be about £100 let alone the other 5 speakers.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
That seems a little bit pricey to be honest. Richer Sounds have been selling the model above, the 607, for £150.

Loafingwafu

Standard Member
I know but unfortunately they only have one left in the Maidstone store and I'm in Bath. Also the 507s they have are nowhere near me either and they won't transfer the clearance items between stores :(

Thanks though :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom