• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help £2K to spend on HDTV

mikejones

Standard Member
Hi all,

first of all let me say what a great forum you guys have going here, really informative.

I'm looking to buy a new tv to upgrade my current Toshiba 37" PX18P which has served me well over the last 5 years. I was considering the sony 40x2000 but notice the new 40x3000 due out in November, is it worth waiting for this? what is the likely retail price? will it be better than the X2000; or am I completely off the mark when it comes to makes and models which are best for my budget of between £1800 - £2500 for a 40 - 42" hdtv. I've also just noticed the new Tosh Z series which seems very similar to the Sony's specifications but at likely half the price?, furthermore I will be upgrading to sky hd but also watch a fair deal of standard def, not so much sport.

Thanks guys

Mike

Spudsy

Standard Member
Iv your heart's set on LCD then Samsung have got some new LCD'S out soon with 25,000/1 contrast ratio's,
the sony's are based on samsung panels any how so you wont be missin out on too much.

Iv the moneys not burning a hole in your pocket it would be worth your while waitin for a decent 1080p plasma

Silver Serpent

Prominent Member
Hi all,

first of all let me say what a great forum you guys have going here, really informative.

I'm looking to buy a new tv to upgrade my current Toshiba 37" PX18P which has served me well over the last 5 years. I was considering the sony 40x2000 but notice the new 40x3000 due out in November, is it worth waiting for this? what is the likely retail price? will it be better than the X2000; or am I completely off the mark when it comes to makes and models which are best for my budget of between £1800 - £2500 for a 40 - 42" hdtv. I've also just noticed the new Tosh Z series which seems very similar to the Sony's specifications but at likely half the price?, furthermore I will be upgrading to sky hd but also watch a fair deal of standard def, not so much sport.

Thanks guys

Mike

I'd take a look at the Pioneer 428/4280XD Plasma if I were you.

Should give you a nice balance between SD and HD.

The 50" version is probably the best Flat Panel on the market at the moment, but the 42" is outstanding also, and just falls slightly behind it's big brother.

I'd steer well clear of the X2000 Sony's as they are plagued with clouding. The new X3500 is out soon which should be so much better.

If it was me choosing, I would definitely go for the Pioneer Plasma anyway.

You can read the reviews here:

http://www.*/

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
Anyway you will find the 40X3500 around 1700£ online and the 40X3000 near 1500-1.550£.At 2.000£-2.100£ you will find the 46X3000.The 46X3500 will have 2.200-2.300£

mikejones

Standard Member
Anyway you will find the 40X3500 around 1700£ online and the 40X3000 near 1500-1.550£.At 2.000£-2.100£ you will find the 46X3000.The 46X3500 will have 2.200-2.300£

Thanks,

but whats your opinion on the difference between the sony X series and Tosh's new Z line up?

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
Definitely the new Z-series will be good as the promising specs.But seen the feedback on the US version I believe the new X3000/X3500 will really worth!!

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom