Helmet cams

simch

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi.
I have a question about helmet cams available for sports and adventure filming. Its a pretty basic question, but strangely enough I cannot see anything about the recording devices (ie camcorders) that these mini cameras plug into. I have a sony handycam and wondered if these can fit into this unit? Which port name and i loking for to plug into.

I suspect the sort fo websites I have looked at that sell them seem to think you should no what camcorderthey will work with, but I dont I am afraid.

So anyone any idea how these things work....??

Cheers

Most of these helmet cams have an analogue out so you need a camcorder with analogue in. Do you have a camcorder at the moment ?
Also the Archos AV 400 series will record from bullet cams.

HTH

As stated you need analogue inputs on the camcorder to be able to connect an external cam to it. This is normally listed in the specs as AV-in.
If you don't know if your cam has this then tell us the make & model and we should be able to find out for you. Just be aware that most camcorders sold in the UK tend not to have AV-in as this means we need to pay the EU more tax as the cam is then defined as a VCR :mad:

Mark.

Cheers guys. My camcorder is a sony dcr -hc 30e. It has a little plug showing A/V its like a tiny circular jack with the bottom squared off it, about 7mm diameter.

Is this the analogue input?

I've just checked the specs of your camcorder and they list the inputs & outputs as:

Audio In - YES
Audio Out - YES
i.LINK (DV) In - YES
i.LINK (DV) Out - YES
S-Video In - YES
S-Video Out - YES
USB Terminal - YES
Video In - YES
Video Out - YES

so the good news is that your cam can have a bullet cam connected to it.
The AV socket would be where you connect any external device such as a bullet cam, but the chances are you will need to use the camcorders supplied AV lead which will probably have 3 phono plugs on the end.
Had your cam not had AV-in then this jack socket would have been for AV out only, but would still have been there so you could connect the cam to a TV or VCR.

Mark.

So that is like an av in and out jack?

My av lead (which I have never used!) has three phono plugs, (stereo l andr and a composite yellow plug, and also an s video jack.

So if I get a bullet cam, what plugs/leads do they come with? Do I use the AV lead supplied with the camcorder, and then hok it to an input form the bullet cam Do the bullet cams have s video outputs, composite?

The specs for the camera show it has a "component" interface? How does that work...?? (I presume they mean the red blue and green component plugs I have on my DVD player)?

Hello simch

What sort of Sport/Adventure filming are you considering and what are you intending doing with the footage?

Your choice of recording device, camera, end product etc... will have an influence on what system suits your requirements.

Best regards

Joe

PS And remember to insure the kit :)

Can you post a link to the cam you are looking at getting. I would assume it has a composite output rather than component.
To connect it to your camcorder you will need to use the AV lead that cam with the camcorder. Some bullet cams have a hard wired lead, so in this case you would need to get a phon to phono socket to join the leads together. If the cam has a mic built in then you will need to connect the audio out in the same way.
As I say, exactly how you would connect it all together depends on the bullet cam you buy.

Mark.

Well have been looking at a few kits, then I saw some real cheap cameras only (sony) on ebay. So I am not sure yet, but as I was looking at about £150 budget, the kits are still about the right money, but £30 off ebay mayu be worth a punt too!

I want to use it on my motorbikes, off road and on road. Thing is the kits I saw has 320 line cameras, the cheaper e bay ones have more.

I presume I buy a PAL camera for my UK sony.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom