Helm Audio DB12 AAAmp Inline Headphone Amplifier Review & Comments

fordster

It’s a long time since I’ve seen a review of a device like this! I used too have a cheap FiiO but it never really seemed to make much difference. I believe Helm also do a USB DAC/Headphone Amp dongle (Bolt?) which is also THX so that would be interesting to see reviewed.

crashcris

Distinguished Member
To increase the volume on my iphone I use the ONKYO HF Player app and just boost the sound. Free and fabulous.

davejones2

Thanks for the review.

Pretty limited use case here I would have thought.

I can't envisage there are many people around with headphones that need an amp to drive them that would also be prepared to use an on-board laptop / phone / tablet DAC via a noisy headphone output.

In which case you need a separate DAC as well; and you start running out of value & portability compared with competition.

daveb975

Thanks for the review.

Pretty limited use case here I would have thought.

I can't envisage there are many people around with headphones that need an amp to drive them that would also be prepared to use an on-board laptop / phone / tablet DAC via a noisy headphone output.

In which case you need a separate DAC as well; and you start running out of value & portability compared with competition.
That was my first thought, I'm never sure about double-amplifying a signal, especially when the original amp is likely to be of questionable quality.

crashcris

Distinguished Member
Downloaded the App, but unworkable, as nearly all DRM protected. Is there something I am missing?.
I've no idea why you're running into that problem. It plays every track that's in my apple "music" formerly "itunes" library. No probs with ripped CDs or even certain audio pwned from youtube, it plays them all on my iphone, then through the ONKYO HF Player app.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom