1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hellraiser Boxed Set - Uncut At Last

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by FoxyMulder, Jul 5, 2004.

1. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Funnily enough, I was looking at a Hellraiser Box Set on Ebay, the other day, but it must be a bootleg. :mad:

3. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    not necessarily, it's been released as a boxed set before. Oddly the old Hellraiser disc (widescreen one side, fullscreen the other) was uncut on one side and cut on the other. Strange.

Its funny when Anchor Bay (US) got Clive Barker to sort the extras for the special editions of Hellraiser 1+2 (2 or 3 years ago) he even says on the featurette "this is the last time I'm going to talk about this son of a bitch movie"... yet he's clearly recorded a new commentary for the first one :rolleyes:

4. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Good News, glad to hear a quality boxset of my favorite films are gonna be released soon. :thumbsup:

I've got the Hellraiser box set, and to be honest the PQ is so so, and with DD2.0 on all three films, it was quite a dissapointment.

Could be a busy month then with the "Star Wars trillogy" and now "Hellraiser" box set's coming out. :smashin:

5. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Really? What exactly was cut and was it the fullscreen or widescreen side?

I take it the last Anchor Bay release of Hellraiser (in the Tin set with part 2) was uncut?

6. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    as I understand it the only cut was one "please..." from Julia's first victim when he was pleading for his life - the widescreen side had two, the fullscreen side only had one. That's the old UK release.

I'm not so sure the old US release in the tin was uncut. I've got that one too (not bothering to upgrade to this new R2 set myself) and I seem to recall in the commentary they make some references to places they've been cut, iirc it's literally just a few frames. The tin set was R rated, and both films had been released as unrated versions before in the US, although Clive Barker gave his seal of approval to everything in the tin set and it was intended to be the definitive release so he must be happy with it.
    There were longer versions released elsewhere in the world though, I'm sure a Jap laserdisc ran longer than any version that's been released on DVD for both the first 2 films.

I'm happy with mine so I won't get this new set, but for fans it might be worth hunting around to make sure they get the best version. The tin set was definitely the best release up to that point

7. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    the new uncut version is also being released in a special edition box shaped like the lament configuration, only £22.49 on play.com!

I still don't understand the UK's obsession with incomplete boxsets though, i mean there are 6 hellraiser movies out at the moment, so why only 3 in the boxset?

Actually even stranger, hellraiser IV uncut is coming out on DVD in the UK at the same time as this boxset, so there's no reason for it not to be included really..

8. Marv

Marv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
  9. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I certainly wouldn't bother to shell out for this if it had all the movies. You'd be paying over the odds to get mostly dreck.

III's bad enough, but at the price Play have the set out at it's essentially a bonus to the first 2 films.

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Firstly, I'm really chuffed to hear that we are going to finally see these horror classics, uncut and uncensored! :clap:

Secondly, I actually quite like "Hellraiser III - Hell On Earth". It's not that bad a film, when you compare it against the subsequent sequels that followed, which had absolutely ZIP to do with Clive Barker's original vision! I mean, for goodness sakes, Number 4 "Hellraiser - Inferno" was set on-board a space station for crying out loud! :mad: Now, that's a bad sequel.

Thirdly, I've done some fact-checking, and found out the following information.

1) "Hellraiser" is quoted by the IMDB as running 94m. The BBFC classified this, at the end of July, with a running time of 93m 18s. Hopefully, all the previous censorship edits and cuts, have now been waived, though I couldn't see anything listed on the BBFC site.

2) "Hellbound: Hellraiser II" is quoted by the IMDB as running 99m. The BBFC classified this, at the end of July also, with a running time of 99m. Their site does state clearly, that "All previous cuts have been waived", so I really hope that this contains every last ounce of footage that made this sequel so bloodthirsty and nasty!

3) "Hellraiser III: Hell On Earth" has still to be classified yet by the BBFC, for the new Anchor Bay UK DVD release. However, the IMDB states that the longer "Director's Cut" of this movie, (which was released onto both rental and retail video in the late 1990's), runs for 97m. I hope that the BBFC allow this through uncut and uncensored, and that it is the "Director's Cut" that Anchor Bay have supplied the BBFC with, and not the regular cinema version (running at 93m).

Does anyone know why Anchor Bay in the US, aren't also releasing the trilogy as a boxed set?

Thanks, in advance.

Pooch

11. Marv

Marv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    No Cause Paramount owns the rights to part 3 in the us.

12. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hellraiser II is UNCUT its the same version as the one in the Hellraiser I and II boxset in the metal tin a couple of years back. Their was a whole scene cut out II compared to my UNRATED hellraiser II on laserdisc. It involved ashley laurence going into a version of her dads house and a bookcase starts to bleed blood everywhere and then fall over. In hellrasier I the part in number one where frank gets pulled apart near the end is a few frames shorter in past versions as the same scene in the hellraiser II trailers was ironically longer. I'm intersested to see if this scene will be fully restored

13. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I was in two minds as to whether to get the box thing, or the regular packaging. I ended up getting the box thing, as it's 'limited', and believe it or not, was cheaper on Play than the regular box set, but I don't like these set in odd packaging, as they don't fit well with the rest of my DVDs.

14. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The box looks really cool. However I don't think I'll bother as I have the limited edition numbered tin from the US.

Mind you though what is the DTS track like in the R2 version? Much better than the R1 DD5.1 version? What about the PQ of this new R2 version, same as the tin version? Are there any scenes in this R2 version that are not in the R1 tin version?

15. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    I just ordered mine from play.com too :) I got the ltd edition Lament configuration boxset. It looks really nice, but yeah it will take up the space of about 5 or 6 dvds on the shelf.. maybe they'll bring out another one with parts 4, 5 and 6 in it in a year or something..