hello to all.

C

clingon

just thought id say hello to all.:hiya:
this is my first go at a post on this excellent forum, which i have been reading prior to my newly purchased pj which is a seleco 420.i got this pj from a friend who had taken it as part payment for some work.
i(well the wife) was looking for something a little smaller than this pj,you know LCD that sort of size,but this was what i brought home(to say the wife was not to happy would be an understatement :mad: ).
well after a day or two my lovely wife agreed(only after i took her shopping)to let me install the pj in the back room:clap: which i have now don.
with the help of the manual(which i must have read 10 times lol) i have managed to focus and manually converge the pj to the best of my ability.
i only have the user remote at this time(any help on getting the installation remote would be good)and don't pretend to understand the workings of this pj but i cant for the life of me find a way to enter the screen quarters correction or the screen corners corrections,do i need the installation remote for this or can i do it another way? also is there any software that i can install in a laptop or PC to fine tune the pj?

thanks to all who have posted some very good information which i know has help me and I'm sure many other on their journey in to home cinema.:thumbsup:

You really need the black installation remote to do the convergence properly. Try Owl Video Systems on 01825 766123.

Download the Seleco manual from the Sim2 web site www.sim2.co.uk

Avoid the temptation to tweak the corner convergence. There's some other stuff that needs doing before you get to the corners.

The 420 has no built-in line doubler, which is actually a good thing since the Seleco one is a bit past its sell by date :rotfl: , so keep your eyes open for a iScan Pro line doubler - approx £150-£180 s/h. This will make the world of difference to the performance.

Finally, PC software isn't really going to help you. It would be better to invest £15 in a copy of PAL Digital Video Essentials (a.k.a. PAL DVE) from Play or any other decent online vendor.

thanks for the advice chris,from what I've seen and read on hear your one of the seleco expert.
ill give owl a ring latter they should be up all night :D

you say not to mess with the corner convergence,There's some other stuff that needs doing before you get to the corners.
like what?

ill try and describe the picture i have maneged to produce.

before i start you must understand that the only understanding i have of this pj is what I've read in the manual.

the picture i have is very watchable and i have already viewed two films:clap:

the only problem that is very noticeable that i can see(my eyes may not be the best :rotfl: )is that the convergence near the edge of the screen is a little out ie;you can see a green shadow, more noticeable on some scenes.

also when i turn the pj on red,green and blue lines apear on my seiling is this normal and can i stop it?

chris you also mentioned PAL Digital Video Essentials what is this and what does it do?

i will be starting to set my room up as a home cinema soon and would be glad to hear any advice from any one who can help with hints and tips,such as colours(which will have to be as wife friendly as possible:rotfl: ):thumbsup:

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
hi crispybig thanks for that.looks like the "TV guy of the 21st century" will be at my house for the weekend(I'll try and get the wife to run away with him then i can paint the room what ever colour i like:rotfl: ).

clingon said:
you say not to mess with the corner convergence,There's some other stuff that needs doing before you get to the corners.
like what?
One of the nice things about the Seleco 400 series is they have electronic convergence. This has two immediate benefits. First, it means you can get the convergence done to a much more accurate level; and second (and most usefully for a novice) you can practise your convergence technique in a spare memory bank without screwing up the main picture.

There's a sequence involved in getting a converged image. The border and corner controls are used right at the end of the sequence. If you see there is some misconvergence in the borders then it's probably something more fundamental like the projection angle or lens focus. Check those things first.

If you want to adjust the border controls then just bare in mind that they have limits. If the adjustments you make end up with the controls running almost maxed out near 0 or 100 then you are driving the projector too hard.

clingon said:
also when i turn the pj on red,green and blue lines apear on my seiling is this normal and can i stop it?
This is the AKB lines. The projector uses this to measure the outout of the three tubes and to maintain colour balance. They can't be removed, but a dark coloured screen case or strip of velvet fabric are useful for absorbing the light.

clingon said:
chris you also mentioned PAL Digital Video Essentials what is this and what does it do?
It's a pretty handy test disc for picture and sound. Some of the basic stuff will help you when setting up for 16:9 and 4:3. Other patterns will help you get close to correct settings for brightness, contrast, colour and sharpness.

On the audio side there are test tones for setting up speaker levels and frequency sweeps for working out the best place to put your sub and what items rattle at certain frequencies.

I also use AVIA. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/630551982X/002-1493407-3108848?v=glance&n=130

This is an American disc (Region free, but plays back in NTSC) and I find this more useful for picture tweaking and it's got some great audio setup stuff too. I just reinstalled my TAG/Rotel AV system and used AVIA to work out if the speakers and sub are in phase - that's hard to do by ear and it's not something that a sound meter or test microphone might pick up.

clingon said:
i will be starting to set my room up as a home cinema soon and would be glad to hear any advice from any one who can help with hints and tips,such as colours(which will have to be as wife friendly as possible:rotfl: ):thumbsup:
If you can afford it then set aside some money to have the projector properly converged, then have it calibrated. I know it's sometimes hard to spend money and have no box or piece of equipment to show for it, but compared to spending extra on new equipment it can actually deliver better value.

Good luck

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
thanks very much chris you have been more than helpful and i appreciate it:thumbsup:

you have given me lots to think about and work on:eek:

now i like the idea of paying someone to set the pj up for me.how much approximately would i need to budget for?
as this cost would have to come out of a pretty tight budget,as i need every thing eg;sound,cables the lot.

any suggestions about where to get any of this kit(online if poss)would be gratefully received:smashin:

Hi clingon,

Chris Frost set up my Seleco SVP400HT, so if I was you I'd send him a PM(if you haven't already :eek: ) then I'm sure he'll quote you his latest price for his Seleco convergence skills (I hope you still do this Chris :oops: ).

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of CRT projection!

Regards,

Ian

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom