1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello!Thinking of getting AVR250 or AVR300

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by PipChi, Sep 6, 2005.

1. PipChi

PipChi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone! Have lurked for a while, but now I've decided to show myself! Anyway I've decided that I need one system for both AV and music!

I've got a cheap sony receiver (£100 from Richer Sounds) for AV. Its not great but it's got me interested in Home Cinema....

I've got a Arcam Delta 290 and a Arcam Alpha 9P biamped. Sounds great! But I've got tired changing round my speaker cables around from the Sony to the Arcams (and I fried an Arcam Alpha 8 when I forgot to remove the links on my speakers changing things around :rolleyes: )

I've got good speakers- Mordaunt Short MS10i Classics as my main pair with Mordaunt Short MS209c centre with Mission 760se as my surrounds.Ruark Vita 50 as sub.

CD player Arcam CD72. DVD player Pioneer 575.

Is the AVR 250 going to give me enough of my music, or is the AVR 300 the one to go for? I can use my Delta 290 and Alpha 9p as power amps, I suppose.

Is this going to sound good, or is my stuff from too many Arcam generations to work well together?

Anyone with any experience or suggestions, I would be very grateful! Thanks!

2. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Have you actually thought of taking your speakers / cd player to a shop and sound testing the AVR's - May be worth a thought instead of spending all that money without even hearing what its going to sound like.

I filled my car with floorstanders and other bits and bobs and spent 5hrs listening to Nad, Cyrus, Denon, and a few others before opting for the Arcam AVR - with a rega power amp. I then knew what I had settled on was best for my ears (and budget) - they all do sound slightly different - depends what your ears like.

Good Luck

3. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    i agree 100%. We can all sit here and tell you how wonderful this is and that is etc etc but it must be you and your ears that decide for you.

On the other hand i would save a bit longer and go for the 300. Better all round than the 250 (IMHO).

if you had been a couple of weeks sooner you could have had mine :rotfl:

4. PipChi

PipChi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies so far. I'll take my CD player with me to a few dems and see what I think!

5. hedrick@rutgers

hedrick@rutgers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The 250 doesn't have preamp outputs, so you can't use a separate power amp. It sounds like this is what you intend to do. If so, or even if you think you might want to in the future, you'll need to use the 300. I have a 250, and I'm very happy, but I'm well within the capacity of the 250's amp. I listen primarily to stereo, with a pair of Paradigm Studio 20s in a fairly small room.

Other than a slight difference in power and preamp outs, the 250 seems to be very close to the 300.

6. PipChi

PipChi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will be hearing the AVR 250 on Friday, so I'll see what I think...Thanks for all the replies!