Hello people.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Holeinhead, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Holeinhead

Holeinhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just have a quick query regarding the Samsung HD950 DVD player. What it is, on the richer sounds website it says: 'Can be plugged straight into an active speaker pack - no amp' needed. Or plug into a 5.1 analogue input on your AV amp'

Now my query is, can i just plug a speaker set into the back of the DVD player and receive 5.1 souround sound? If so, could you recommend some connectors that i would need? because my knowledge on these things is very limited and i know there is no provision for speaker cable.

Also, would this speaker set do the trick? http: //w ww.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=163824

Thanks very much in advance :thumbsup:

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    ok, this is how it works.....

DVD player usually outputs via an optical or coaxial cable (both are commonly called Digital connections) to either

A) a 5.1 surround amp (which if it has a radio tuner built in is called a receiver surround amp) which can decode the digital signal in to 6 separate channels (5 proper audio channels plus a subwoofer).....the main 5 channels will then be amplified, speakers are connected directly to the 5.1 surround amp/receiver and powered by it........alternatively if the DVD player has what are called 6 channel outputs, these can be connected to a suitable amplifier with a 6 channel input, this uses 6 cables (or 3 pairs of standard RCA phono cables), these are used instead of a digital coaxial/optical cable.....this version uses the DVD player to do the decoding, if you use the coax/optical cable then the amplifier is doing the decoding.

B) you can plug the DVD player via an optical or coaxial connection in to a 5.1 speaker system that you buy all together in a box which usually has the amplification for the individual satellite speakers (the normal 5 channels) built in to the subwoofer (so the subwoofer powers its own bass driver, and also powers the mid/treble drivers of the satellites).......

so to summarise, if the DVD player has a digital output then most likely it can be used with any kind of speaker setup, you just need to make sure the speakers you buy can either be plugged in to an amplifier you already own, or they come with an amplifier in each speaker or they all plug in to a subwoofer that can amplify them....

as for the product you mention, i'll check that in a sec and tell you if it can or cant...

edit: ok, checking out your speakers manual on the creative site i can say one thing, these speakers dont have their own digital decoding ability, this means you cannot use the coaxial or optical output from a DVD player.........

with your speakers you should have got a cable that has 3 connectors each end? possibly orange, black and green? in the same order these are subwoofer, rear speakers, front speakers........the last two connectors actually carry 2 channels each, rear left & rear right, front left & front right........its possibly you can connect these to a DVD player, but to do so you will need to buy a DVD player that has '6 channel output sockets' it might say 'onboard DD/DTS decoding' (if just DD this is ok)....what you then need to do is buy 2 cables that are 'stereo RCA to female 3.5mm cable adaptors' (make sure if they are directional that they work in the stereo RCA TO 3.5mm direction, NOT 3.5mm to stereo RCA direction).........then you plug the two RCA on one cable in to the front left/right outputs on the DVD player and the 3.5mm connects to the green cable that comes with the speakers, then plug the second cables two RCA connectors to the rear left/right outputs on the DVD player and the other end to the black 3.5mm plug on the cable that comes with the speakers.....then finally you will need to have bought a 'single RCA to female 3.5mm adaptor cable' which you plug the single RCA end to the subwoofer output on the DVD player and the other end to the orange 3.5mm connector.........this then should work (btw these adaptor cables shouldnt cost more than £5 each tbh....try www.maplin.co.uk to get them)........

or an easier altho slightly costlier version is to buy the Creative Decoder module, check the Creative website for decoders, this will accept the orange/black/green cable that you get with the speakers quite happily, the Creative Decoder module connects to the DVD player itself via an optical or coaxial cable if memory serves correct...

hope this helps, any probs lemme know :)

3. Holeinhead

Holeinhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Knyght_byte i love you :thumbsup:

That answered ALL of the queries i had. Mint.

I've searched for hours for info on this too.

Thanks for your time mate, much appreciated.

Hole

4. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    not a problem dude, always happy to help :)