1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello! New to forum - advice needed

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by pixelated, Feb 12, 2005.

1. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Hello there!

First, this is my first post so would just like to say a big hello to everyone :) :hiya:

Right... I've just got a Panasonic TH-37-PE30B and I absolutely love it. It's in our front room and generally speaking we're sat around 10-11 feet away from the screen, sometimes closer. Great set, totally irrelevant to my question really just posting a quick feedback :)

Now! I'm doing up my bedroom. And I'm thinking of making it more of a home cinema room with a bed in it lol the main problem is the size. I don't want to even touch LCD because I've never been happy with a single set I've seen. So this leaves me with my favourite - Plasma. Huge sizes! So I was thinking of wall mounting the plasma to solve the problem - great. However, I'm 18 at the moment and still live with my parents, but I want to move out within 12-18 months from now. In the room with my layout I'm considering people will be sat maybe 10 feet away because I'll put the TV on the opposite wall away. People say to me that a 42inch is far too big for a bedroom. My question is why, when the distance between the TV and the the Sofa is 10 feet? A reasoning behind my decision to get a big one is I want to take it with me next year. Is 10 feet ok to enjoy a 42inch plasma?

I've been looking at the Pioneer PDP-435XDE - (ok 43 inch ;) lol) and a local shop near me said it was £3200 without speakers, without wall mount and a further £550 for a High Def Denon DVD player. In all without haggling and face value... £3200 tv, £550 dvd, £250 Pioneer clip on speakers and £150 on the mount. £4150 - is this TV worth that kind of money? I'm quite willing to spend it if it's worth it. Is HDTV worth the extra money? Especially since when Sky finally bother to release it, they'll probably charge the moon and a bit of Saturn for it for a long time... my apologies if this post has made no sense, but I'm bloody knackered :)

Cheers

Stu

2. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    welcome to avforums :)

just get a sony hdtv for half that price from www.rgbdirect.com good prices on there n all, if your thinking of plasma's just wait another few years till they catch up to the quaklity of rear projection tvs

3. Pompey_Lad

Pompey_Lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say Im a big supporter of LCD, I would opt for the new Philips PF9986, and at £1800 retail, its a snip, although its only a 32 inch, anywhere around the 10ft mark would be adequate for tv of this size (although bigger is always better right? :rolleyes: ). Reviews on this set and demo's i've seen are remarkable. I currently have a 26" Philips LCD PF9946 which also has stunning PQ. I have to say my experiences with plasmas aren't great plus recent owner opinions of the 435 (especially the fact that it looks and feels cheaper than the 434) wouldn't inspire me to spend that sort of money.

Im in a similiar situation, living with parents but with big plans. Some day I will have that dream cinema room, Oh yes! LCD + PJ, gotta have the dream.

4. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Cheers for your replies :)

Oxy - i'm not quite sure if you mean a CRT or not... CRT is not an option, far too bulky i'm afraid... I'm happy with the quality of today's plasma TVs too :) If I had a room as big as my bum then I'd certainly get a CRT, however lol

Pompey - surprising how opinions differ... i'm on my first plasma tv and I love it. the one i'm wanting to get now is my second, so i've been looking around the shops again and I truly can't get into LCD, the ones i've seen anyway. I've seen some panasonic and sony ones and the picture always seems very hoarse... i'll look into the philips one you've suggested now, though :)

Stu :cool:

5. Deaves

Deaves
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i reckon you could easily knock £400/£500 off your £3200 quote by shopping about

6. Tarsh

Tarsh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    42" is not anything like too big from 10ft if you want a cinema, but if that's your aim, with a separate sound system, you'd be better off with a monitor plasma. More work, more bits, but if you want a cinama, it's the way to go. Do you have a TV source, do you have an aerial, is freeview enough for you, how loud are you alllowed, what's the budget, er, that's all for the minute!

8. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Hello there

Cheers for that matey - glad to hear the 42inch should be ok for a cinema-alike in a room of that size. Although I 100% agree that the seperate surround sound would be fantastic... it's never quite that easy :-( lol unless the price was somewhat shockingly close to the £4200 I mentioned, I'd have to get the £250 black speakers (never told me the model number lol but I assume they're Pioneer). For now anyway... unless you can suggest a good monitor that isn't £3200 like the Pioneer is lol Panasonic make good monitors don't they? And is it worth getting a HDTV set?

Cheers

Stu

9. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Stuart

If you are thinking about the 435 xde then you would not be disappointed. Especially at the price above. The picture is superb through all sources and your viewing distance is more than acceptable as I've watched from about 6-8 feet and still been well impressed. Recently there have been some great comments on this plasma - what your getting is a great looking, great performing and future proofed all in one tv. Good value.

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,940
    Stuart Kirby

Different approach - if you already have a TV and are contemplating a small Cinema (that can grow into a larger Cinema if you move house) why not consider Projection.

A ThemeScene H57 (or similar) DLP will project an 70"+ Diagonal 16:9 image from just under 3m for less than £2K - that should leave you plenty change to add in a decent sound system + a fixed screen.

Food for thought!

Joe

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Nice and unobtrusive in a bedroom too, you could even paint the screen onto the wall with screen paint if budget gets squeezed, (or spent on beer, women and riotous living)

12. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Hi there!

You both recommend a projector? Will have to take it into consideration in that case... is the picture quality on them good? :) Can you recommend a particular model for me to look into?

God's sake this forum is a goldmine, cheers all

Stu

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,940
    Hello Stuart

Display's or Projector's - we work with both technologies; sometimes both systems in one room.

Whilst a PlasmaTV or Display is viable in your room it sounds (to me) that your after the 'Cinema' affect you achieve with a Projector; and as MAW says a Projector install can be very discrete and easily removed when the time comes.

I mentioned the ThemeScene H57 as a personal favourite - and plenty of folk around here like the Sony HS50 (LCD), Sanyo Z3(LCD) plus models from Sharp, Hitachi etc plenty of homework for you!

Best regards

Joe

14. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Hiya!

Took your advice regarding projectors today. I went to Sevenoaks to ask them what they consider better, the setup I described with the Pioneer TV for over £4000, or a projector... he recommended to me the InFocus Screenplay 4805 (only £1000!!) over the Plasma because I want a more cinema feel. He said that it's a brilliant first projector and for that price it'd be mad to pass up. He took me to their "cinema room" and they had it set up using not that projector but I think it was the next one up... and was around £2500, not sure of the model though? And it was INCREDIBLE! I asked if the quality of the 4805 would be comparable and he said it'd be almost identical... you got any experience with this? :)

Stu

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I have that experience, and you've been sold a line, the 4800 is in no way comparable. The 5700 is what they showed you I should think, Faroudja processing, pal native, it's the dogs danglies. There are many alternatives, PJ market is crowded compared to plasma. Ask your Q's in the projector forum, I think the themescene is good for the kind of budget you are on, or else the top LCD machines, Z3, Panasonic, etc.

16. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    allo again

I may give you a ring sometime in the week if that's alright :)

Is LCD better than DLP for projectors? Because it was the 5700 they shown me, remembered as soon as you told me lol and it was bloody superb...

Stu

17. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,940
    Hello Stuart

There's an echo in here :)

Ah Saturday sales assistants - if the £2.5k+ unit isn't better than the discounted ScreenPlay 4805 I wonder why they have the £2.5K unit in the shop!!!

The Home Theatre projector market is very competitive - you get quite a jump from say £1.5K to £2.5K.

I guess the most obvious difference between the ScreenPlay 4805 and the ThemeScene H57 (UK SRP 1.9K) is the H57 has a 1024x576 'pixel' array whilst the ScreenPlay 4805 'makes do' with an 854x480 array.

Feed the H57 a PAL source (576 lines) and you get to see all the info in the source material whilst the ScreenPlay unit has to down convert the 576 line source to fit on its 480 line array.

There's enough in your indicted budget to go for a 576 line projector without compromising on the source, surround sound and screen.

Best regards

Joe

PS And keep in mind the H57 price includes a Three Year warranty!

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Couldn't agree more on the 5700. VFM is brilliant on that one. LCD is better for some things, but if you thought the 5700 was brill, chances are you are not susceptible to the biggest drawback of DLP, so maybe it's the way to go. Colours can be more vibrant with LCD, picture smoother with DLP. Your bedroom us upstairs we assume? Cable routing slightly less of a problem if so, as there might be loft access? A projection install we usually charge twice as much for as a plasma, just to give you an indication of relative difficulty, but that's not to say you can't do it yourself.

19. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    Word of warning, you need to view a DLP for at least 30mins to 60mins to see what it does to you. Apart from the rainbows, eye strain and headaches can be common. In which case go for a LCD, a Sony HS50 being a very wise buy indeed.

If you want proper big screen action and you already have a plasma, front projection is definately the way to go. You will never look back :smashin:

20. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Hehe I must say even on the short viewing I had i'm converted to projection :)

DLP seems to have a fair few flaws if what you said is anything to go by... is it really worth it? I watched it for about 10 mins and was literally blown away... but will my eyes start falling out? Will LCD give me a better picture etc? :) lol Sorry for all the questions, just a major purchase that has to be spot on lol

Stu

21. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,940
    Hello Stuart

Ekko Star is right to point out that for some folk DLP is a no no - though I have to say the current crop of DLP projectors are quite different to what has come before.

Eighteen months ago I could not have watched a whole movie on any DLP projector - today I have one at home and find its free from the distracting and eye strain inducing 'rainbow' effect.

If you didn't 'see' flashes of 'rainbow' colour on your viewing of the ScreenPlay projector then your very unlikely to see them with the H57.

See http://www.projectorcentral.com/lcd_dlp.htm

Best regards

Joe

22. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    DLP's main strengths traditionally are it's depth of blacks and contrast. These are areas where LCD has not been upto speed with DLP until the Sony HS50.

Short demo of a DLP does not tell the whole picture as rainbows can be dependent on material being viewed. Watch a fast paced action movie and you might start seeing them a bit more. Some people do not notice adverse effects from DLP and others do, make sure you are entirely comfortable before you purchase. It's easily being wow'd by first viewing of FP, make sure you spend your money wisely on something that's right for you. :)

23. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Helloo

Thank you for that article, pretty informative :)

The film they showed me was a Star Wars one... dunno which one as I am not a fan of it (shock! hehe)... but it was fast and I didn't notice this rainbrow effect I must say...

Retailers: the one they showed me was the ScreenPlay 5700 DLP. And I loved it, so I checked What HiFi? Sound and Vision magazine and they rated this their favourite overall projector... Great. They say the list price of it is £2200... but Sevenoaks are offering it for £1999.95 plus £200 off a screen... can anyone do this cheaper than that?

Cheers for all your brilliant help

Stu

24. colinb07958

colinb07958

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hello

I can get the Philips 26" PF9946 for £550. Is it a good LCD? I would use it as my main bedroom TV.

Thanks
    Colin

25. arby1

arby1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    sorry not to answer your question- but how did this get asked in the plasma forum on a thread nearly a year old looking at plasmas and projectors! i'm just impressed with how lost you've got!