• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Hello, is this laptop good?

OK thank you, are there any Viao's that are good, that have XP on them so i can save myself some money? My budget is up to £600 and i would like to be able to run photoshop. thanks in advance

Dankeech

Prominent Member
Hi there, bear in mindd the warranty you get with any laptop as it varies between manufacturers. Not many places can repair a Sony laptop under warranty, so you're looking at what is called a Return-To-Base repair most likely.

It means if it goes wrong, you'll have to send it to the manufacturer to get repaired at your own cost etc.

Sony parts are also expensive so if the system fails out of warranty, then the parts are likely to cost more than say HP Compaq or Toshiba.

However, the Sony Vaio's are nice laptops, but I have little experience of them myself.

If you needed any info on HP Compaq / IBM / Toshiba I can help.

I work in IT, but Sony is very uncommon in my job.

Sony are definitely getting more popular on the laptops front, but still hold only a small corner of the market (business market at least) and probably there's good reason behind it.

For photoshop, most modern laptops should run it well. 1Gb of memory would be helpful and maybe more depending on how demanding the work you have is in Photoshop. I'm guessing 1Gb would be fine, but for lots of hi-res tasks, you're going to want to knock that up.

You'll probably want a nice screen too.

Decide also if you're looking for something that is ultra-portable (lightweight, loads of battery time and small to boot at the expense of some power), or a Desktop replacement (chunkier laptop, higher performance, but not so good on battery as meant to be plugged in most of the time etc).

I'm also thinking that if your main reason for getting a system is for 2D performance etc and Photoshop, rather than HD movies, gaming etc, then you may wish to look in the direction of business laptops etc from these manufacturers rather than their consumer range.

Hope this helps, any more questions ask away.

Dan.

Dankeech

Prominent Member
Hi again,
As mentioned before, I deal with business laptops, so we're talking totally differnt ranges though. I've just taken a look at Dabs.com and noted a few interesting systems I'd want to look further into if buying with your criteria:

http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...SelectedId=11105&NavigationKey=11105,22,50600
The fact it's an IBM(Lenovo) would suggest I'd be expecting it to run apps beautifully as IBM somehow seem to get the hardware working excellently for windows and good performance for spec expected.

It's got 1Gb so more than enough to cope with demanding 2D graphics used by photoshop, even on fairly large images/processing tasks.

Also:
http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.asp...=11105&NavigationKey=11105,22,50540&InMerch=1
This looks good. It's part of the satellite pro series of laptops which is entry business level just below the Tecra series normally which are the more serious business notebooks.

Here's also a Toshiba Tecra laptop within your budget:
http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...SelectedId=11105&NavigationKey=11105,22,50540
Not quite as much memory as you might want (comes with 512Mb), but should be a trusty reliable laptop and perform well too.

I''d suggest for further info, best off going to the computing forums:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46
...and posting a thread there as you'll have more people with more varied opinions available to answer your questsions.

I cannot personally recommend a Sony Vaio purely for the fact I've only ever used one at length and I was impressed. What I can say is my experience of Sony products is that they provide good value for money, perform their tasks well for the money and are built to last.

This is going on Sony AV kit, but I have too little experience myself of their IT equipment to be able to give good advice either for or against them. Perhaps a Sony Vaio laptop would be the ideal product for you, but that would be for someone else to advise.

Best advice : Seek further advice from others in the computing forum

Edit: Having had a close luck at the Vaio you're asking for opinions on, this seems also like a serious contender. Just noticed it's got a huge spec for the money, inc 120Gb HDD. Although not bought Sony laptop before, I'm surprised by just how much you get for the money and I'd definitey recconsider.

Ask a question in the computing forums about it, more traffic goes that route so you're more likely to find info from someone who has it.

Dan.

kourosh

Distinguished Member
Hi there, bear in mindd the warranty you get with any laptop as it varies between manufacturers. Not many places can repair a Sony laptop under warranty, so you're looking at what is called a Return-To-Base repair most likely.

It means if it goes wrong, you'll have to send it to the manufacturer to get repaired at your own cost etc.

Sony parts are also expensive so if the system fails out of warranty, then the parts are likely to cost more than say HP Compaq or Toshiba.

However, the Sony Vaio's are nice laptops, but I have little experience of them myself.

If you needed any info on HP Compaq / IBM / Toshiba I can help.

I work in IT, but Sony is very uncommon in my job.

Sony are definitely getting more popular on the laptops front, but still hold only a small corner of the market (business market at least) and probably there's good reason behind it.

For photoshop, most modern laptops should run it well. 1Gb of memory would be helpful and maybe more depending on how demanding the work you have is in Photoshop. I'm guessing 1Gb would be fine, but for lots of hi-res tasks, you're going to want to knock that up.

You'll probably want a nice screen too.

Decide also if you're looking for something that is ultra-portable (lightweight, loads of battery time and small to boot at the expense of some power), or a Desktop replacement (chunkier laptop, higher performance, but not so good on battery as meant to be plugged in most of the time etc).

I'm also thinking that if your main reason for getting a system is for 2D performance etc and Photoshop, rather than HD movies, gaming etc, then you may wish to look in the direction of business laptops etc from these manufacturers rather than their consumer range.

Hope this helps, any more questions ask away.

Dan.

sony vaio are free to return:smashin: they are run on a courier pickup service,so when you buy a vaio it needs to be registered so in the next 12months if you have any probs you call the service number ...they will send you a special protective packaging next day and the day after a courier will pick it up.
they are usually returned within 7days:smashin:

kourosh

Distinguished Member
OK thank you, are there any Viao's that are good, that have XP on them so i can save myself some money? My budget is up to £600 and i would like to be able to run photoshop. thanks in advance

these where just out before the vista version's

http://www.ajelectronics.co.uk/View...O VGNN11M Core Duo 1.60Ghz Laptop&CAT_CODE=89

they have it for £599.99 here http://www.thehifistore.co.uk/eshop/products/VGNN11M_W.htm

or there is the S version

here for £663 http://www.morecomputers.co.uk/extra.asp?pn=VGNN11S/W.CEK

vaio's are cracking laptops,you get what you pay for;)

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom