Question Hello installation

tman

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to install a Nest Hello smart doorbell. I have the low voltage wiring in place and an old-school chime unit. As with many, the transformer housed in the chime unit isn't powerful enough to support the Hello (a Friedland Type 4 8-16V unit), so like many I've picked up a Bell CUB1 8 to 24V replacement unit from Screwfix, which should be fine. Two problems though;

1. The new transformer is MUCH bigger than the existing one and will no longer fit in the chime unit, so I'm going to need something else to mount it in. I believe a standard DIN RAIL enclosure should work, but I just need a discreet housing that isn't too big (just for one transformer), and not too expensive. Any ideas?

2. I've been looking at the existing wiring too. It has 4 front mounted terminals; OF, 1 ,2 and T3. I have unmarked white wires going into OF and T3 and then two more white wires going into 1. I found an old Friedland wiring diagram for this transformer, and it seems to indicate that the link between OF and 1 is the doorbell circuit (on/off), then T3 and another connection from 1 go to the transformer (pinout 4b on the attached diagram). I just need to work out how to replace the transformer and integrate everything with the Hello unit!

I'm happy to do this myself, but for those who've already attempted it, advise would be awesome.

Thank

Attachments

• 107.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 484
Weirdly I had the exact same manky chime and came close to doing what you plan to do.

In the end I took the easy route and bough a plug in transformer that connects directly to the Hello and didn't bother with a chime and just use multiple Homes and Hubs for that.

You can also just plug in the usb cable into a normal socket. The chime can then be sent using a google home mini. This is how mine is setup.

I just installed mine at the weekend,

I had an old bell housing from a faulty unit I replaced, (glad I kept it)
so just cut that up with a multi tool
so now have two identical chime boxes next to each other,

although the chime isn’t working yet, will sort that this weekend.
at least I have power to my camera for now and works with my google mini for now,

Attachments

• 21E155D0-CC8C-4856-A5AE-5AFDEAA62333.jpeg
    21E155D0-CC8C-4856-A5AE-5AFDEAA62333.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 297
  • E5D499F5-C41E-4CF7-A2DB-82D399597A91.jpeg
    E5D499F5-C41E-4CF7-A2DB-82D399597A91.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 271
I had a similar issue with a ring pro and mounted the transformer into a IP box in a cloak room out of the way. Initially I thought i looked hideous but by the time the coats are hung up its completely out of sight!

Cheers everyone. I've been a bit busy, so haven't had time to respond. This also means I haven't had time to install the Hello unit yet. What I've gathered though is that I might just be able to bypass the chime altogether and wire the hello straight into the transformer. I'm quite invested in Google, and have a mini in each bedroom, a Home in the lounge and a Nest Hub in the kitchen. I could probably just configure the Hello to ring on those instead of the door chime. I might also be able to hack the chime box to install the new transformer too - it's definitely not deep enough, but side on as in geewhiz's photo, it might fit.

Likely to be next weekend until I get a chance to install it now, but thanks for the advice.

Installed a few Nest Hello's with Friedland and Honeywell doorbells. The wiring you find on the web doesnt really work well for UK doorbells. The easiest way as everyone says is a plug-in transformer and an Google Mini. The really old friedland chimes do not work with the Nest, it causes them to buzz continually. The modern versions and the Honeywell chimes work fine.

Cheers everyone. I've been a bit busy, so haven't had time to respond. This also means I haven't had time to install the Hello unit yet. What I've gathered though is that I might just be able to bypass the chime altogether and wire the hello straight into the transformer. I'm quite invested in Google, and have a mini in each bedroom, a Home in the lounge and a Nest Hub in the kitchen. I could probably just configure the Hello to ring on those instead of the door chime. I might also be able to hack the chime box to install the new transformer too - it's definitely not deep enough, but side on as in geewhiz's photo, it might fit.

Likely to be next weekend until I get a chance to install it now, but thanks for the advice.

Hi mate, mine does go through the chime (it's the Honeywell dingdong one) but like you I am heavily invested in Google home and have hubs and minis dotted around everywhere. tbh the assistant noise shouting someone is at the front door all round the house completely drowns out the chime anyway.

Mine was wired by running bell wire across my hall under the carpet and under the stairs to where the consumer unit is, I purchased the transformer seperately and attached it to a din rail within the consumer unit and my cousin, who is a spark,done the final wiring up.

My chime is only a 8-16v unit though and has been running fine since December 2018 it is a bit of a bird's-nest though

IMG_20200816_183811.jpg

@tman if you do just wire directly to the transformer I'd suggest you turn off the chime in the nest app, that particular setting is just for a connected doorbell chime and if enabled each press of the doorbell will momentarily short circuit the transformer.

Hi mate, mine does go through the chime (it's the Honeywell dingdong one) but like you I am heavily invested in Google home and have hubs and minis dotted around everywhere. tbh the assistant noise shouting someone is at the front door all round the house completely drowns out the chime anyway.

Mine was wired by running bell wire across my hall under the carpet and under the stairs to where the consumer unit is, I purchased the transformer seperately and attached it to a din rail within the consumer unit and my cousin, who is a spark,done the final wiring up.

My chime is only a 8-16v unit though and has been running fine since December 2018 it is a bit of a bird's-nest though

View attachment 1350814

@chopples - can you describe what wires connect to which? Looking at your photo I'm not sure I follow the connections.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom