1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello I'm new ... question about ventilation

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by wayneb, Jul 30, 2004.

1. wayneb

wayneb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everybody, just registered here.

I've recently bought a Toshiba 36ZP38 & am in the process of buying an AV rack to stand everything on.

My question is about ventilation - I know the manual says to leave 100mm space round the TV, however ....

I have an old, unused fireplace in the wall - which is 8mm wider than the widest part of the TV & 365mm deep.

What I am wanting to do is have the back of the TV sit in the alcove, not all of it, probably around a 275mm overhang (all depending on how I can support it from the back & how safe it is), leaving only 90mm space at the back.

The space around the side vents will be 100mm at the widest point of the TV (then the space will increase as the TV gets smaller towards the back), at the back of the side vents there will be 150-200mm, then as stated above probably only 90mm space at the back.

I would initially be OK with this, not sure what you think - my main concern is the top - if it overhangs the full 275mm there will be a minimum space of 6-7mm at the top (again, increasing as it gets further back), although there are no vents on the top of the telly, hot air rises so I'm presuming that this is maybe the most vital part ... is this correct?

If it's any concellation then there will be a large amount of space below the TV, probably around 150mm.

Hope you can get the picture from my explanation, to sum it up there will always be room round every edge for air to escape, at the very minimum 60mm, but this is only at the top & 90mm at the back. Generally speaking there will be quite alot of breathing room - if you can imagine the curved back of a CRT sat in the rectangular alcove, there will be quite alot of open space for the TV to circulate air.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Wayne.

2. wayneb

wayneb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone?

Sorry for being impatient, just I need to buy an AV rack asap & it will depend on this ya see.

3. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Hi Wayneb, I think it will be ok. Is it a real old fire place as in there is a chimney stack above it? How well is it blocked off?
    I wouldnt worry too much about the top of the set. My centre speaker takes up most of the top of my 32" Tosh tv and I've never had any problems overheating.

Cheers, Mylo

4. wayneb

wayneb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure how well it's blocked off mate, it's not our house (just rented) so wouldn't be able to do anything with it anyhow.

Thanks for the reply :)

5. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I'd say it will be O.K. as well unless you have the heating set at 50c but then every thing will suffer anyway. :D

6. wayneb

wayneb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haha - doubt the heating will be that high!

The chimney is already blocked up, sorry I never put that - seems like it's got a good 1 1/2-2 foot of blockage above it.