Hello I would like to post in the DVD covers

maguire

Ex Member
Reaction score
First post Hi I am into converting my snappers into Keep cases and adding inserts if none came. :)

m,mmmmmmmmmmmmmm that blokes a nutter SHOULD FEEL RIGHT AT HOME HERE THEN

Originally posted by maguire
If it was illegal the MPAA would have shut dvdcoverart.com down years ago!

Well, I'm not sure the MPAA would have much to do with it, as that is the rating system for movies, i.e. G, PG, R, R18 in the US.

The courts have already banned DVD X Copy from sale, after some of the big studios took action, and we know about Napster and the legal actions against people downloading stuff from Kazaa and the like, so who knows what could be targetted next?

It's obvious that sites such as dvdcoverart.com would be used for illegal purposes - where do you think all the covers come from for bootlegged DVDs? Cover art is copyrighted, the same as any other material, and as such, it must be illegal to reproduce DVD Covers without permission of the copyright holder.

I suppose you could argue that you are merely replacing already purchased covers, to fit alternative storage (I'm not suggesting you're bootlegging!), but it's still a grey area, and is probably as 'illegal' as is the 'backing up' of DVDs, even for your own use.

:lesson: :D

Simon is this the way to treat all newcomers to the board, I have explained that www.dvdcoverart.com has been in business for 3 years (2 years before they got a copyright in 2003). I started when there was 40,000 now the membership has grown to over 63,000 plus. They have rules and those rules include that they unlike other forums, they do NOT have DVD lables for sale. The website is run on artists displaying their talents using Adobe Photo Shop or Paint Pro 8.0, they get credits toward future downloads, not cash for their designed and almost perfect in MB instead KB downloadable Art Covers.

I downoladed and printed a chapter insert for Gladiator this morning, yes they are replacements and no I do not own a DVD recorder! I have asked in what forum are they discussing cover and insert printing, if you can't or won't accept me that's your business. I do not have to prove my innocence to you or anyone else, yet I tried to explain to a person who in all fairness is nnot on topic just rambling about downloaded music or movies this is downloadable thengs you must have a printer to print. You print cupons from the internet or codes for your $5 off on movies you want to buy. Do a google search on printing covers, last time I looked there were 63,000 to choose from:!:

Sorry, I'm not trying to alienate you, I'm merely pointing out the law, as I see it, as regards the duplication of copyrighted material. It's not meant to be a personal attack, so please accept my apologies if it seemed that way. Are you saying that www.dvdcoverart.com does not offer duplicate original artwork? If that is the case, then I stand corrected.

Simon may well be correct in his view on the legality of dvd cover art printing but since dvd backups and other possibly illegal passtimes are openly spoken about on these forums it seems a bit of a mute (but interesting) point to me...

...as for threads where others talk about it maguire, I don't think I've come across one on here. There is a search box at the bottom right of each section of the forums, maybe you could try searching for "covers" or something like that and see what you get.

This is something I'd also be interested in as I'd love to finally get rid of all those horrible snapper cases and move them to armary cases (or whatever they're called :blush: )

Regards,
Iain.

Welcome to the boards Maguire,

I've been to the coverart website a few times over the last year, and there are some superb designs for a variety of different films, alot are far better than the originals . . . . . . . . . . . . . Revolutions ;)

I honestly don't have any issues with the idea of redesigning DVD covers, I can see how it could be used for pirate copies, but people that sell these probably would rather use a duplication of the original which there'd get for free from a scan. I totally understand why people would use these to replace snapper cases and poorly designed covers, keep up the good work designers :thumbsup:

Do you actually design covers as well Maguire, or are you just a customer/user of the mentioned site?

Giz. :D

Thank you for the welcome, no I am no artist and I can't afford some of the stuff they can like Adobe photoshop at $600 plus they must have had lessons. I am a 57 year old crippled man and buyer of great looking custom covers, looking to do what you want, to get rid of the snappers bought from 1997 on up and add printed not ripped 'off' the snapper chapter inserts. :)

I doubt I could match any of their design efforts either, but i do have a working version of photoshop(Trial version) most of the time due to my hobby of re-setting up the computer every other month :zonked: :D

I have 601 downloads, no uploads, and 52 comments and my credits stand at 99.5. The .5 gets you a insert. I use Dell Image Expert bought off of JASC, with a Canon F20 multi-pass printer. I cut them to exact proportions with my retail bought X-Acto Guillitine lever cutter. I do grab a few off the internet but when DCA finally has them I buy theirs. The only artistry I have, is not to cut my fingers 'off' while pulling down the lever with the razor sharp blade attached.:D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom