Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Hello...Help Needed!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by MAM, Jan 19, 2005.

1. MAM

MAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!
    I am from Israel, and I'm writing a project about israeli filmmaking over the world.
    It will be a great help if each one of you could answer some questions.

1. What Israeli films do you know or heard about? Where from?
    2. What jewish people do you know in the international film industry and how do they affect it?
    3. What do you think about Israel and Israelis? [don't be ashamed to write your true opinion, it's important.]
    4. Do israeli/jewish films and filmmaking influence your opinion? How?

Thank you ever so much :]

BTW. if any of you have material on Israeli filmmaking and films and Israeli image because of it around the world we'll be thankfull.

2. MAM

MAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Somebody? please?
    it's really important..

3. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I have not heard of any jewish/ israeli films, not that i specifically look for a countries film output, most foreign affair on offer at the cinemas are from europe, russia, asia. I have seen a couple of films from the middle east though, recently i saw 'West Beiruit' on BBC 3 or 4, last week, excellent film.

Wasn't their a Chuck Norris film set in Israel?

As for israel and the israelies , i dont think its appropiate to discuss politics on a film forum, my experience suggest that once started, it leads to very long and abusive threads, not for this forum.

Regards

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    The only israeli films I'm aware of are a couple of israeli funded schlocky actioners ( a couple had Jean Claude Van Damme in them). Pretty poor to be honest but this is more likely down to the poor distribution of domestic israeli films.

I know plenty of Jewish people in the media business "Peter Hyams" springs to mind as an example but I wouldn't say there is anything explicitly Jewish in their representation. And most of them would never dream of refusing a bacon buttie if you take that as an indication of their devoutness.

I've worked closely with 2 people who were specifically Israeli but did not inquire as to their religious backgrounds . One of them is quite happy to eat ham sandwiches and pizza and is someone I consider to be a friend as well as colleage.

Paradoxically both (one of whom I didn't like all that much but got along with) are quite arrogant and overly confident of their abilities which can leave a little to be desired in the real world . Both tend to panic rather too readily when they encounter more persistent problems and both strike me as somewhat insecure and over compensate as a result. They are both rather self-interested and neurotic which somewhat forces me to keep them at arm's length even the one I have known for a while and regard as a friend.

I'd have to say I don't exactly regard Israel as particularly active in the film industry. You are also at a disadvantage , certainly in the European industry as israeli film industry workers don't qualify for the tax back incentive. The EU has cracked down on this and now takes the nationality of film workers into account when calculating the percentage of a film completed in the EU and whether it then qualifies for the tax back.

Incidentally the company I work for includes people from Iraq , Turkey , Israel , Australia , France , Germany , China , Japan ,New Zealand ,USA etc In other words people in the film industry are not really bothered about anyone's nationality ,although the germans keep making jokes about Hitler and the battle of britain even though we tell them to stop as they are being insulting to themselves and risk official warnings for being conspicuously anti-german. None of them can hold their drink as well as the British and none of the British can hold their drink as well as the Scottish and I can drink the other Scots under the table , even the tall one who is also the boss.