1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello - first Widescreen TV (a bit disappointed though)

Discussion in 'TVs' started by MJC, Oct 21, 2005.

1. MJC

MJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Hello - I'm new to the forums. Nice to join you all.

I've just bought my first Widescreen TV - 28" Hitachi C28WF560N (£169.97 at Tesco). The picture quality seems great playing DVDs but to be honest I'm a bit disappointed with the picture through my Sky Digibox. My old set was a second hand Goodmans 21" CRT. Pretty good picture through Sky. But the picture through Sky on the new Hitachi shows poor detail (for example details on people's faces or on grass are just blended in). Also any text seems rather jagged and badly defined round the edges. I also notice light halos round objects sometimes. I've spent all evening playing with leads and cables and picture settings. As I say, DVDs are fine but the sky is not very good.

How can things be clear and fine on the old 21" Goodmans (text very clear, details good) but worse on the new Hitachi Widescreen? I'm thinking of returning it. Is this common to a lot of Widescreen TVs?

Thanks for any help,
    Matt :).

2. skap7309

skap7309

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    ive just had a similar upgrade...........went from a 25 inch panasonic 4:3 to a toshiba 32zp48 and experienced the same problem. the picture on sky with the panasonic was near perfect but it seems everytime i change channel now i have to adjust colour contrast etc as the channels are so different. have you tried making sure its connected to rgb correctly? after posting this question just last week, many replies were that its down to broadcasters cutting back on picture quality to fit in more channels etc, a case of quantity rather than quality, and if your hitatchi produces a better picture, then it will also produce 'better' imperfections.
    bit rubbish really isnt it!

3. Media_Man

Media_Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, :hiya: Welcome to the best AV forum around...

Hard to believe that the new Hitachi is 'inferior' to an old Goodmans set.

I used to have SKY and i remember the output being less than impressive - with garish colours and some pixilation and jaggies - so maybe the new Hitachi TV just shows this up - where the older Goodmans is a lot more 'forgiving' in picture quality.

The only other thing that springs to mind is that you are watching the SKY box using composite rather than RGB - or that maybe the Hitachi has a faulty RGB input on one of its scart sockets.

Have u tried your DVD player on both scart inputs to check they look the same ? (as i notice both are RGB compatible)

Also do you have a decent Freeview box handy? If not try to borrow one to see what the picture looks like with RGB output enabled - which would be a good check to see if the problem is with the TV or the source.

With a strong signal (and decent scart lead) my Sony Freeview box looks really great - much better than my old SKY box - with cleaner colours and less pixilation.

You could also try calling the Hitachi customer service line to see if there is a problem with any of these sets.

Hope this helps.

NB: You can get the Sony VTX-D800 for around £80 from empiredirect.co.uk should you feel the need.
    The picture quality is great but the sound quality regularly blows me away.

Its easily a 'Best Buy' product imho. :thumbsup:

4. MJC

MJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    :thumbsup: Thanks to both of you for your replies. I discovered the Sky Digibox "Video Output" was set to "PAL" and not "RGB". I've set it to "RGB" and the picture is now fine - much more detail and much clearer text. Excellent - you've really cheered me up, thanks very much.

Matt :).