1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello AV world

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Seanmac, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Seanmac

Seanmac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please take it easy on me as I am new to this forum internet thing.I have been into AV for the last 20 yrs or so, video recorder through 2 spks, you know how it is.My present system I,ve built up to is a Sharp 37" LCD TV , a Denon 11SR Amplifier, Denon 3800 DVD Audio player, 7 Monitor Audio Radius spks and Rel 200E sub.I want to get the best performance from the system and need some help.I am hoping to stretch to a Denon A11 DVd player to connect to the TV via DVI.The screen is supplied with an external media box this supplies the screen through a DVI input, but there is no DVI input into the media box.As I want to obtain the best possible image from the screen can I buy a Gefen DVI switch box and connect the player and media box to the screen.Does anyone know will this work,I spoken to Sharp who say it should work but wouldn`t commit to it.Will I get the right resolution, aspect ratio etc.. can up upscale 720p,1080i ?.
    Also i am interested in Sky`s mention of HDTV broadcasts in the future would this also work into the medai box.Any help much appreciated!

2. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    I dont think so.

The dvi connection between the media box and LCD is just for the media box only and is not universal. It will not be HDCP copyprotected either so the Denon A11 would not send a pic anyway as it will only work with a DVI connection that is DVI HDCP.

if the media box does not have a HDMI or DVI input then it it not compatable.

3. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    HIGH DEF COPY PROTECTION

not sure on skys plans but they may do HD via component like many US equipment is, so may not be HDCP but my money is on that we will need HDCP HDMI or DVI inputs to get a pic

it is also a hardware protction not software. basicly the dvd player(or HD Reciever) does a handshake with your display before a pic is sent out.

Hope that helps

4. Seanmac

Seanmac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gandley

This has left me very depressed as I will not be changing the screen to a DVI/HDMI one.
    One more question, the US version of this TV has a media box which instead of scarts has DVI inputs, would this work as in the set up you can op for PAl,NTSC or AUTO so IO think the screen is universal.Help anyone!

Thanks

Seanmac

5. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    if u got hold of the USA version of the media box then there is a chance it would work, again it would have to be HDCP compiant to work and im not sure it is.

The market is in a state of change, so many are getting burnt by this HDCP issue.