1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello, and is my Sony 32FQ86U working right??

Discussion in 'TVs' started by kittnut, Aug 13, 2005.

1. kittnut

kittnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey there,

I've just got my Sony 32FQ86U....bloody nightmare getting it up a flight of stairs into a flat. Anyway, I'm not entirely sure what modes (settings) I need to be in to get the thing to work nicely with my sky digi-box. So far, I have crispy imagining on aerial and dvd but the sky box (which is hooked to scart 1) doesn't seem to give a clean crisp image. The only thing I can think of is that the scart cable between the 2 is cheap, but that never bothered the older sony tv I had.

Oh, I've got my gamecube hooked in through the front on s-video, but the tv doesn't seem to auto change to the machine. I need to manually flick through the AV's connected. Is it possible to setup a channel for a particular AV connection. I did this on my old TV and the method worked fine, but I cant seem to setup up channels on this machine in the same way.

Thanks for any help you can give
    Sarfraz

EDIT> after reading the sticky thread, I'm not entirely sure if the first problem is pixelation. The older tv was a 28" widescreen.....so could that be the reason???

2. kittnut

kittnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...I'm still not sure whether the TV is fine or not. I seem to get quite abit of fizzyness on sky footie pictures, but it seems fine on terresterial. Is there anything I can do to improve image quality of the digi-box. I'm not entirely sure, how significant a change would come from changing the scart to an RGB on.....will it still pixelate???

...does anyone know why the noise reduction option dissappears and then reappears whenever it feels like it :lease:

3. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Make sure that your sky box is set to RGB in the user menu and that the picture is also set to 16:9 wide mode. If you have not deon this then you should notice a difference in picture quality once it is sorted.

4. kittnut

kittnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, I had the digi box on 16-9 and RGB as thats how it was setup for the older tv. The problem seems to be grass and large amounts of racing track!! ie they get all blocky and blurry. Whats odd is that even channels likee BBC1 through the skybox look perfect until they jump to footie, and then its this blurry picture. Then they jump back to the interview or something and everything is clear again....whats that all about.

Cheers....was starting to wonder if I would get a reply!!

Sarfraz

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    The problem could be a number of things.

1) Turn of all the picture prosessing such as digital noise reduction ect.
    2)Try using the THX optimiser on the satrwars DVDs to set up contrast and brightness, sharpness ect.
    3) If you can also try and get hold of a copy of digital Vieod esentials which will help calibrate your screen to give a better picture quality.
    4) Sky digital is just not very good the blockness you can see is more down to low bit rates and poor broadcasting. The new 100hrz Tvs dont respond well to poor digital feeds and that is why you get this type of problem. :)

6. kittnut

kittnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your suggestions. I've got the star wars dvd, and I'll give that a go....whats this "digital Video esentials". I;ve never heard of that before?

....touching lots of wood, but my tube seems to be one of the non-defective ones. At the very least if some of the problems I;ve heard on this board do come up, I'll have a head start on what to do. No buzzing or auto switching, but its early days yet. The screen seems to have gotten alot better since yesterday, suspect its just starting to "bed in" so to speak.

To be honest, I think the noise reduction thing is the only thing that is selectable (if I can select it!)....picture power or whatever its called and the rest of the tv's filters look to be on by default and I'm not sure if they can be turned off.

Thanks :thumbsup: I think just by fiddling the contrast, its made a huge difference. Getting the THX optimiser should get it perfect.

Sarfraz