Hello and advice needed please

Kevd7761

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a noob and would like some advice please.

Can I connect the S/PDIF out on my new JVC flatscreen TV to something like this gadget, a digital to analogue audio converter, and then use the RCA output on that to connect to a pair of wireless headphones?

The reason for all of this hoohah is I've bought a new tv and when my missus plugs in her wireless headphones, it cuts out the tv's speakers, and I can't hear the audio.

I can use the audio out (RCA) from the back of the Freeview+ box, and that works the headphones fine, but when we want to watch a DVD the audio out (RCA) on the back of the DVD will not work the headphones. I've got a RCA to headphone jack adapter for the above.

The TV has no other audio out than S/PDIF/coax

Any help/advice would be gratefully received

Kev

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Yes, the DAC will allow you to plug wireless headphones into the optical.

But... on some TVs, the optical output only works for the TV's internal tuner. It might not pass through audio from your external sources. You'd need to check the TV's manual for that.

You'll also have to go through the TV's settings and make sure it's sending stereo PCM out, not any Dolby format.

Thank you for your quick reply. I have the tv's manual in front of me now - it says "spdif out, outputs audio signals of the currently watched source. Use a spdif cable to transfer audio signals to a device that has a spdif input." So I think that might just work i.e. watching freeview via my freeview+ box, or my dvd player the watched audio should be output via the spdif, into the DAC, and out to the headphones. I think I'll buy that DAC gadget and give it a whirl!

Thanks so much for your reply audioenthusiast, I'll report back as soon as I've got it all connected up.

Kev

P.S. I've just checked and the tv's digital out is set to PCM

Last edited:
If it says it outputs your currently watched source, then it sounds like it'll do the job.

Hi, again audioenthusiast

I've just received the DAC, connected it all up and it works perfectly. Now the missus can use her headphones (she's a tiny bit hard of hearing) and leave me in peace to enjoy the tv without my repeating the (usually) mumbled dialogue for her. Our old CRT tv had separate controls for the speaker and headphone audio, and the headphones didn't shut off the tv speaker's audio - I assumed that these modern flatscreens would do at least that! Progress, eh? Anyway, everythings working now!

Thanks again for your advice

Kev.

Last edited:
Glad it worked out ok.

There was another chap recently complaining about his TV speakers being shut off when you plug in headphones. This would only ever happen with the actual headphone jack, not optical/analogue out on the back though.

He was doing the exact same thing actually - he was hard of hearing but his wife wasn't, so he wanted headphones.
Unfortunately his TV (LG I think) didn't give audio output from external sources, unlike yours.

Yeah, I know what you mean

Originally, I had thought of connecting the freeview+ box, and the dvd player to something like THIS audio source selector, but decided against it because although I could power the wireless headphones from the RCA's on the freeview+ box, I couldn't get any sound from the RCA's on the dvd player. I came to the conclusion that the audio out on the back of the freeview+ must be an amplified audio out, but the audio out on the dvd player wasn't. I went to my local Maplins to ask whether their audio source selector would amplify the audio enough to hear through headphones (it had a mains lead to it) but they looked at me like I was talking nonsense, and told me I had no other option than buy a 'proper' audio amplifier from them. As that would set me back ÂŁ100+ I declined their kind offer. I asked them about the spdif out from the tv, but they said it would still need to go into the 'proper' amp.
The DAC setup I used cost me just under ÂŁ15 - so I'm really happy. Maybe this other chap could explore my original idea further? That is to use the RCA audio outs to feed his headphones? just a thought

He had done something similar to that, combined with the fact that he had a soundbar already that things fed into. He was pretty unhappy as it wasn't easy to use at all.

It's a difficult one, isn't it? The so called experts at some of these Curry's, Comet etc. stores wind me up, too - I had one laugh at me and told me I was trying to re-invent the wheel! I suppose the answer is to buy your new tv from a 'proper' tv/hi fi shop and bite the bullet and pay the bit extra - at least they'll sell you something fit for the job.

I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet and go down the HD route, eventually - a whole new world of pain, I expect!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom