1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hellboy DTS puzzle

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by srobbo999, Oct 2, 2004.

1. srobbo999

srobbo999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I watched a Malaysian copy of Hellboy last night, I know that it wasn't a kosher version, as it was on a single layer disc. My question is this, the disc had a DTS soundtrack, a real blinder, but the official release only had DD5.1 so where did the DTS soundtrack come from? Any idea.

2. krusty

krusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good question..................if the movie didnt have dts to start with , then it aint dts.........fact!!

3. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i imagine it's just the dolby track re-encoded to dts, so would be no different to the dd one. perhaps most amps in malaysia use dts, so they put a dts tracks on all their pirate stuff.

4. srobbo999

srobbo999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    But my amp recognised the DTS signal.

5. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it's a re-encoded Dolby Digital soundtrack then the DTS will sound worse than the original it was copied from. Re-encoding a lossy soundtrack (Dolby Digital) with another lossy format (DTS) is equivalent to photocopying a photocopy; each generation will be worse than its predecessor.

Adam

6. Tojal City

Tojal City
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Portuguese edition will have DTS in English.

hey.. first post

7. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have mentioned this before but with "so-called" dodgy asian copies, but single layer dvd's are a complete con. Go for the dual layer i.e dvd9 - not so much of a con. Yes they are about £2 over there, but realistically pay between £5-£7 each over here, but note NOT for a single layer version. To be sure ask how much data is on the DVD, it should be greater than 4.3GB.

My understanding is that the 5.1 sound tracks have been re-encoded. Someone said when this is done it would be worse ??? I don't understand fully the technical side of it all, but many DO SOUND BETTER without doubt. Q. Where and what original media format do they manage to get in order to produce these very early copies ? many films I see in the cinema seem to have the DTS logo and yet hardly any are released in this format ??
    Ok, granted many of these DTS tracks are in fact just a lot louder, but hey that's not a bad thing. I sometimes hear things in rear channels I don't normally hear from the official releases, the dialogue is lot clearer, the base line is lot tighter, etc, etc. All these attributes I have just mentioned are exactly what the experts say when they review and compare DTS and 5.1 film versions, but these are ILLEGAL pirate copies of the highest standard.

I've just got Troy (not that I will be keeping it !) and Spider-Man 2 , both with DTS and 5.1 sound tracks. DVD's have nearly 8GB of data on each of them. one word - AWSOME sounds.......oops, that was 2 words.

8. Tomaso

Tomaso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hellboy - Dir. cut will probably get the Superbit threatment sooner or later..
    Then we'll have a real DTS soundtrack..