1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hell, is it really for Heroes?!

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Nello, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have just bought the new Hell is for Heroes album, The Neon Handshake. It's sounding pretty good from what I've heard so far :smashin:

Wondered if any of you had heard it/them and what you thought.

It's not as hard as Dillinger Escape Plan (thank Christ for that!), and may be put in the same locker as other British indie bands (Rival Schools, Hundred Reasons, maybe even Feeder if you like them).

Anyway, I like the sound of it and you're gonna hear more of them in 2003, so get with the programme! Oh, and apparently they rock when they're live, which always goes down well in my book.

Go on, have a test listen on WinMX or Kazaa

2. perrdl

perrdl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I quite like "Hell is for Heroes", very good live!!!

A couple of there members used to be in a band called Symposium, if anybody remembers them????

I think I will buy the album!!!

3. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I remember them! Saw them loads of times around Camden and LA2, etc in about 1996/7. I can remember William McGonagle being in Symposium, was Joe Birch the other guy? Any idea what happened to the rest of them? The singer was called Ross something or other......

Am glad to say that the Hell is for Heroes album is much better than the Symposium album, and it seems they're pretty similar live - loads of energy, loads of climbing around the lighting rig, etc!

Haven't bought much music like this in a long time, I think I must have slowly slipped into thirtysomethingness without realising :blush: Well this has enlivened me again, give me some more pointers.....

4. perrdl

perrdl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not 100% sure about, but I think you have the two guys correct.

I saw symposium live a few times, they were very good!!! I remember them smashing up the Main Stage of Reading in 98 I think!!!

I think I remember reading somewhere that they split up because nobody liked the lead singer (Ross), I agree that the new band are much better.

If you want a recommendation of a good album get "Midtown - Living Well is the Best Revenge", it's fantastic!!!!

5. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was that the year that the Phoenix Festival was cancelled and the Prodigy, Beasties, Foo Fighters all played at Reading? Was it lovely weather all weekend? I think I was there in that year as well. I'm sure I've seen Symposium on Main Stage at Reading, and they weren't around long enough to get on the main stage for 2 years in a row :D

I'll check out Midtown....

6. perrdl

perrdl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah that was the year.

New Order played because pheonix festival was cancelled too!!!

I also remember them playing the second stage of Glastonbury in 97, when they told the enrite crowd to throw mud at the stage, and had the plug pulled on them!!! Very funny!!!

Midtown are a bit more punky.

I think Finch are quite similar to Hell is for Heroes, so it may well be worth checking them out too!!!

7. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, that was the one. I couldn't believe my luck, I got two festivals for the price of one!

Have heard of Finch before, I'll have a listen.

Cheers for the tips.

8. perrdl

perrdl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nello,

Did you get a chance to check out Midtown???

9. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Today, I shall be mostly buying this album:smashin:

Anything that sounds like Rival Schools is OK by me:clap: this will tide me over till I get my Cult of Luna album delivered on the 18th.

10. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Track 9, thats the one, brilliant.:clap:

11. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have grabbed a few songs but will have to save them for a day when they won't cause my sore head to implode :smoke: :zonked:
    I'll have to stick to those 'relax with the sound of nature' type CD's for today as any sudden sounds or movements could cause untold damage.

Will check Midtown tomorrow. Any particular tracks? Got some Finch last week - I like those guys, cheers for the tip.

Karkus30, you're right, Hell is for Heroes Track 9 is defo the one. You heard Midtown or Finch? Cult of Luna, odd name, should I give them a go?

12. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    No, havent heard Midtown or Finch, though I happened to look at a Finch album in HMV the other day.

Cult of Luna, nothing like HIFH or Rival Schools. Closer to Dilinger, its a bit of an epic, maybe even a future classic, time will tell.
    I darent recommend it, cos its a bit fringe.

13. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    After many listens to this album...........I conclude.......It rocks:cool:

HIFH seem to have just sprung out of nowhere to produce a great first album, I look forward to the next forray.:clap:

14. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you like it Karkus. If I get wind of anything similar I'll post it here.

I haven't braved Cult of Luna yet, still recovering from Dillinger!

15. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Ha the Cult are different from Dillinger, much slower and more accesable, dont expect an easy listen though, its still chalenging but theres a melodic overtone which allows it to fit more comfortably than Dillinger. Still loud, but no more than HIFH.

Go on try it, witness a change in musical direction, Pink Floyd for the 2000s.