Hell Freezes Over DTS problem

nsherin

Established Member
Reaction score
Wonder if anyone can help? When I select the 'Seven Bridges Road' track from my 'Hell Freezes Over' DVD, it displays the copyright warning for the track, then sends me back to the main menu.

I've set the audio options on the disc to DTS and I can select the other tracks off the menu without any problems. The 'dts' symbol displays fine on my Yamaha HTR-5540RDS amp, so I'd guess it's decoding the DTS signals OK. DTS is also enabled from the setup options on my Pioneer DV-350S DVD player.

Any ideas how to fix this one? Any help much appreciated - I'm chomping at the bit to hear this track ;)

Thanks,
Neil

This won't help you in the least.
All I can say is that the track you are unable to play is terrific in DTS.
Hope you solve the problem as you are really missing something good.
;)

Sorry but this sounds like a disc problem. It could be something simple like a bit of dirt or grease that just needs cleaning off, but it could be a problem with the disc structure in the menu, or damage to the reflective layer. This will mean a new disc. The good news is it does sound absolutely awesome when you get it working :)

Same disc but different track.

Listen very closely to the dts version of Hotel California.

There seems to be some unwanted tapping/scratching noises
audible from about halfway through.

This can also be heard on the credits section.

Can anyone else hear this?

Originally posted by bowler
Same disc but different track.

Listen very closely to the dts version of Hotel California.

There seems to be some unwanted tapping/scratching noises
audible from about halfway through.

This can also be heard on the credits section.

Can anyone else hear this?
No problems with my disc and I've played it hundreds of times.

Thanks guys. I'll give the disc a clean tonight and give it another try. Didn't think of the bleedin' obvious ;). Will report back!

Righty, I've given the disc a clean and still get the same results. So I tried the disc on my PC (my SB Audigy 2 card is hooked up via analogue to my Yamaha amp). WinDVD crashed when selecting the DTS audio option from the disc menu. I then tried Windows Media Player and was able to select DTS fine, then hear the track by using the menu on the disc. Very very good, but I'm still stumped as to why it won't work on the Pioneer....

sceptic,

There is some audible popping a few minutes into the Hotel California track, for a long time I thought this was part of the recording, then I decided it was my set-up. Several changed discs later and a full strip down and clean of my entire system, and I decided it WAS on the recording. I'm glad it's not just me has heard it.

Originally posted by docsmith2k1
sceptic,

There is some audible popping a few minutes into the Hotel California track, for a long time I thought this was part of the recording, then I decided it was my set-up. Several changed discs later and a full strip down and clean of my entire system, and I decided it WAS on the recording. I'm glad it's not just me has heard it.
I've never noticed this but I'll check and report back.

sceptic,

docsmith2k1
Re-listened to Hotel Califirnia and, as far as I can tell, it's flawless - no popping.
Maybe there's some rogue discs about.

Originally posted by sceptic
docsmith2k1
Re-listened to Hotel Califirnia and, as far as I can tell, it's flawless - no popping.
Maybe there's some rogue discs about.

Sceptic,

Before I go and change my disc please confirm-

1) You are listening to the dvd and not the cd.

2) You are listening to the dts track and not pcm.

Thanks.

Originally posted by bowler
Sceptic,

Before I go and change my disc please confirm-

1) You are listening to the dvd and not the cd.

2) You are listening to the dts track and not pcm.

Thanks.
bowler
Yes to both. I listened to the DTS version of the DVD. It's region 2 - I think I bought it at HMV.
Good luck with your exchange.

I gave Pioneer a call at lunchtime to ask them about the problem. They've not specifically come across it, but said they are going to look into it with their copy of Hell Freezes Over. I did mention that the player had been multi-region modded and that the DVD disc was bought in Asia (it's a geniune one from HMV Hong Kong). They mentioned that it could possibly be due to the RCE (Region Control Encoding)? Or that the disc was not encoded quite right.

Originally posted by nsherin
I gave Pioneer a call at lunchtime to ask them about the problem. They've not specifically come across it, but said they are going to look into it with their copy of Hell Freezes Over. I did mention that the player had been multi-region modded and that the DVD disc was bought in Asia (it's a geniune one from HMV Hong Kong). They mentioned that it could possibly be due to the RCE (Region Control Encoding)? Or that the disc was not encoded quite right.
That sounds feasible. As I mentioned, mine is region 2. I bought it 3 or 4 years ago.
Anyway, hope you get it sorted.

Hi, I have a Pioneer 757Ai but have never been able to access the last DTS only track. The credits just roll and thats it.
I have the DVD in DTS, so maybe its a problem specific to Pioneer?
Phil

sceptic - thanks, so do I ;)

Philbill - it's possible that it's a Pioneer specific problem. Is your disc a region 2? Mine was bought in Asia in about April 2001. The disc mentions it supports regions 1,2,3,4 and 5.

Mine is multiregion, so it could be some sort of general read problem.
Phil

Quite possibly - I'll wait and see if Pioneer gets back to me and will report back.

sceptic,

I thought the same as you and after alot of repeat listening it seems to be on the bass line , sound's like duff notes.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom