1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hell Boy: To buy or not to but, that is the question

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Gorshin, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is it worth buying?????

2. chris6364

chris6364

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, firstly - from you posting a question like this i'm guessing you normally like films of this genre.

So, whether to buy it? Well, Hellboy has been referred to as one of the better adaptations of these films. Personally i loved X-Men, Spiderman and then towards the other end Blade and Blade 2 - who's director also made this film. I absolutley loved it, and i will be buying both this and Directors Cut at christmas - but that's cause i'm hardcore - go for the theatrical release, and if you really enjoy it - then the directors cut is your next purchase!!!!

3. ilovedts

ilovedts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had it on pre-order for a while for £6.99 from CD-WOW. :thumbsup: I think its worth a punt. There were a few trailers @ the pictures this weekend & it looks humerous & with plenty of action. I have read though that it has kiddy style violence! :mad: i.e no blood, or gore :suicide:

4. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    £6.99?? damn how'd you manage that? I watched the dvdrip the other day, it's an ok movie but you're right about the lack of gore. There are a couple of moderately gory bits but nothing to write home about. The movie itself is pretty solid for a comic book movie though, a million times better than Hulk that's for sure.

5. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Maybe that's where the Director's Cut will earn it's keep? I have the Theatrical on order from CD Wow, also at a great price, and will probably get the DC as well.

6. ilovedts

ilovedts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The mighty CD-WOW :cool:

7. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There may not be much blood or gore, but the movie has a ton of violence. I definitely wouldn't class it as a kiddie film.

8. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    I believe the dir cut will just be the movie.. so the theatrical is worth getting if you want the huge extras disc which is meant to be very good.

Matt

9. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm waiting for the DC in November

10. Ger

Ger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I ordered the R3 from CDWOW and it was sent this morning. Hopefully will get it by the weekend. I haven't seen the film (or know anyone who has), but it has been getting good reviews and the trailers in the cinema look great.

Only £8.99 at CDWOW for the R3, so you can't go wrong (considering it won't be out in the cinemas here until September it cheaper than 2 people paying to see it!).

11. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,945
    I watched it last week and it isnt a bad film but then its not a great film, will be interesting to see how the Directors Cut compares to it.

12. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The Director's Cut is supposed to be a 3 disc set, so there should be loads of extras on it.

13. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +860
    plus the DC's got an R rating rather than PG13. You can see in the theatrical edition where edits have been made to get the rating down.

Its OK, I don't think its as good as the first Blade (directed by Stephen Norrington, not Guillermo Del Toro he only did Blade 2) but it kills 2 hours nicely enough.

14. Boogie Badman

Boogie Badman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    If it's as good as Blade then I'll love it. I love the Blade movies so much that my kids call him uncle Blade!

15. Dr Pumpstain

Dr Pumpstain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I saw Hellboy earlier in the year over in Vegas and to be honest I would wait for it at the cinema rather than spoil it by watching it on DVD first, unless you have a great big screen to watch it on. It is really good, I thought it was better than Blade just because the actual characters are far more interesting. The movie is out in a few weeks so it's no that much of a wait really...trust me!

16. Boogie Badman

Boogie Badman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Sounds perfect for my cinema room, thanks.

17. pgre

pgre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the price on CD WoW flutuating due to demand ?? now its 10.99 for the R3 version yet the members email shows this to be 9.99 ?

People have suggested this to be 6.99 and 8.99 ?? Whats going on ?

18. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    It was definitely £9.99 when it was first listed, but people got it cheaper by using links (now disabled), and vouchers.

19. ilovedts

ilovedts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I received my Hellboy Region 3 today for £6.99 :thumbsup: One question though, there is no chapter listing, just the two discs either side of the Amaray case. Does anyone have the Region 1 to confirm whether that version is the same. :confused: Can't moan though, cheap & its looks good. :thumbsup: :)

20. Clive_Evil_C

Clive_Evil_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the region 3 today, not to bad a film! look like some good extras on the dvd though I've only watched the introductions. Selma looks like she'd rather be else where from the disc 2 introduction. I found an easter egg on disc 1 trying to move around the main menu, it has the director complaing about que cards

21. kwebbotaurus

kwebbotaurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Those of you with the Region3 from CD-Wow:

Is there a white box where the barcode should be? Seems a bit suspect to me!

22. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have the Region 3, and also a white box. Perhaps they don't have barcodes in Korea? :D As long as it plays alright, I don't really care.

23. Boogie Badman

Boogie Badman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Got my region 3 yesterday, watched it last night and thought it was good. Not as action packed as I thought it would be but I will watch it again (I was a bit tired). In terms of DVD quality I thought both picture and sound was excellent. Hellboy is cool!!!!

24. brummybloke

brummybloke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    had it for a month or so on dvd, average film, looks abit like bruce forsyth with that chin.

never heard of it before and got around to watching it the other day, it is a run of the mill film and as someone else said it is way better than the hulk but having said that so is postman pat volume 2 series 3.

25. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    lol :laugh:

26. Random Hajile

Random Hajile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Got my R1 version this morning and thought it was an entertaining 2 hours. Great characters and a good story to boot. If your expecting all out action you might be dissapointed but if you want character building, along with humour and action you can`t go wrong with this film. And a great Dolby digital track aswell.

27. ilovedts

ilovedts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Watched it tonight. I thought the start was excellent, really dark, but after the titles it became a bit of a joke :blush: rubbish acting, bad one liners, poor storyline, etc, etc, etc... :boring: It just seems to me that new films have nothing that makes you think, "instant classic" I thought the film was hard to follow, that is probably down to the fact that I haven't read the comic. :suicide: One good point is that the AV quality is superb, :thumbsup: the picture quality is one of the best prints I've seen in a while, not a blemish. Dolby track was OK, but I've read that a Superbit title is around the corner, which will sound better. :cool: Overall, very disappointing, but for £6.99 I can't moan. Never the less its on eBay. :rotfl:

28. jay75

jay75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I agree, I thought the start was very good and the film looked promising but then started getting cheesy. If there was ever a comic book adaptation that needed to be dark and violent I think this is it :thumbsdow