1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heimat - The German TV Epic comes to BBC4

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by PoochJD, May 20, 2005.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Anyone who has a serious interest in drama, foreign language films, or unusual and distinctive TV, will be interested in the following news which is detailed here! Look at Post Number 12! :)

Pooch

2. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    Excellent.

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    HI,

Here's my updated episode guide to the complete HEIMAT series, with German and English titles, and transmission and running times where possible.

HEIMAT - Eine deutsche Chronik (1984)
    (aka "Heimat - A German Chronicle")
    The first series, tells the story of the village Schabbach, on the Hunsrueck in Germany through the years 1919 and 1982. The sweeping story down the generations of the Simon family, it cuts a swathe through 20th-century German history. Its focus on the minutiae of everyday life ironically provides a broader picture of society than the stereotypical images of Germany often portrayed on screen
    - No Of Episodes: 11 episodes
    - Duration: 920 minutes
    - Volumes: 6 x 3-hour tapes (Volumes 1 - 6)

#1 Fernweh / The Call Of Faraway Places (1919-1928)
    Friday 27th May (9-11pm) 119 minutes

#2 Die Mitte der Welt / The Centre Of The World (1928-1933)
    Sunday 29th (9-10:30pm) 90 minutes

#3 Weihnacht wie noch nie / The Best Christmas Ever (1935)
    Friday 3rd June (9-10pm) 58 minutes

#4 Reichshöhenstrasse / The Highway (1938)
    Sunday 5th (9-10pm) 58 minutes

#5 Auf und davon und züruck / Up And Away, And Back (1938-1939)
    Friday 10th (9-10pm) 58 minutes

#6 Heimatfront / Homefront (1943)
    Sunday 12th (9-10pm) 58 minutes

#7 Die Liebe der Soldaten / Love And Soldiers (1944)
    Sunday 19th (9-10pm) 58 minutes

#8 Der Amerikaner / The American (1945-1947)
    Friday 24th (9-10:45pm) 102 minutes

#9 Hermännchen / Little Hermann (1955-56)
    Friday 1st July (9-11:20pm) 138 minutes

#10 Die Stolzen Jahre / The Proud Years (1967-1969)
    Sunday 3rd (9-10:20pm) 81 minutes

#11 Das Fest der Lebenden und der Toten / The Feast Of The Living And The Dead (1982)
    Friday 8th (9-10:40pm) 100 minutes

DIE ZWEITE HEIMAT - Chronik einer Jugend, Die (1992)
    (aka Heimat 2 - The Second Chronicle; Heimat 2 - Chronicle Of A Youth; Heimat 2 - Chronicle Of A Generation; or The Second Heimat)
    Each of the 13 separate episodes, handles a period between 1960 and 1970. The second of Edgar Reitz's grand television dramas focuses on the turbulent 1960s, when Hermann Simon moves to Munich. It follows the lifes and loves of Hermann and a group of young artistic types, who each have an episode devoted to them (as noted below next to the episode's timeline information).
    - No Of Episodes: 13 episodes
    - Duration: 1530 minutes (Abridged US Version: 1416 minutes)
    - Volumes: 13 x 3-hour tapes (Volumes 7 - 19)

#1 die Zeit der Ersten Lieder / The First Songs (1960 - Hermann)
    116 minutes

#2 Zwei Fremde Augen / A Stranger's Eyes (1960/61 - Juan)
    115 minutes

#3 Eifersucht und Stolz / Jealousy And Price (1961 - Evelyne)
    116 minutes

#4 Ansgars Tod / Ansgar's Death (1961/62 - Ansgar)
    100 minutes

#5 des Spiel mit der Freitheit / Playing With Freedom (1962 - Helga)
    120 minutes

#6 Kennedys Kinder / Kennedy's Children (1963 - Alex)
    109 minutes

#7 Weihnachtswölfe / Christmas Wolves (1963 - Clarissa)
    110 minutes

#8 die Hochzeit / The Wedding (1964 - Schnüsschen)
    120 minutes

#9 die Ewige Tochter / The Eternal Daughter (1965 - Fraülein Cerphal)
    118 minutes

#10 das Ende der Zukunft / The End Of The Future (1966 - Reinhard)
    132 minutes

#11 Zeit des Schweigens / A Time Of Silence (1967/68 - Rob)
    118 minutes

#12 die Zeit der Vielen Wörte / The Time Of Many Wounds (1968/1969 - Stefan)
    119 minutes

#13 Kunst oder Leben / Art Or Life (1970- Hermann & Clarissa)
    138 minutes

Unlike the first series, "die Zweite Heimat" exists in two different versions - the original, Director's Approved version, and a shorter US version. Quite why these two separate versions exist, has yet to be discovered. (It is unlikely to have been due to length, as "die Zweite Heimat" is the longest of the three series', and also the longest, single TV drama series ever shown in one single performance.) In comparison to the original Director Approved version, the US version ran 114m shorter, loosing nearly a whole episode's worth of footage. Alas, no details as to exactly what was cut or changed, is available. However, it seems that the final episode was shortened by 19 minutes, for the US, meaning that the other 95 minutes were probably removed by extraneous editing from the other 12.

HEIMAT 3 - Chronik einer Zeitenwende (2004)
    (aka Heimat 3; Heimat 3 - The Final Chronicle; Heimat 2000; or Heimat 3 - A Chronicle Of Endings And Beginnings)
    This is not only a sequel to "Heimat" and "die Zweite Heimat", but also a chronicle of a very decisive decade for Germany (1989 to 2000).
    - No Of Episodes: 6 episodes
    - Duration: 679 minutes
    - Volumes: 6 x 3-hour tapes (Volumes 20-25)

#1 Das glücklichste Volk der Welt / The Happiest People In The World (1989)
    100 minutes

#2 Die Weltmeister / The Champions (1990)
    100 minutes

#3 Die Russen kommen / The Russians Are Coming (September 1992)
    124 minutes

#4 Allen geht's gut / Everybody Is Doing Well (October 1995)
    127 minutes

#5 Die Erben / The Heirs (aka Follow Me) (July 1997)
    101 minutes

#6 Abschied von Schabbach / Farewell To Schabbach (August 1999)
    104 minutes

"Heimat 3", like its brother ("die Zweite Hiemat"), also exists in two different versions - the original, Director's Approved version, and a shorter German TV (ADR) broadcast version. ADR asked writer and director Edgar Reitz, if he could prepare a shortened version, specifically for them, fearing that it would be too long for regular TV viewers (!). The following is a list of the shorter (ADR) version that he prepared.

#1 Das glücklichste Volk der Welt (1989) 89m 59s
    #2 Die Weltmeister (1990) 88m 53s
    #3 Die Russen kommen (1992-1993) 91m 55s
    #4 Allen geht's gut (1995) 91m 54s
    #5 Die Erben (1997) 91m 01s
    #6 Abschied von Schabbach (1999-2000) 88m 53s

NB: The running times listed above, are for TV prints. The running times listed in the first episode list for "Heimat 3" are for theatrical prints. The theatrical prints will run slightly shorter, when broadcast on TV. This is normal, due to compression ratios, and is not a sign of any censorship issues.

In comparison to the original Director Approved version, the ADR broadcast ran 136m 25s shorter, loosing several of the main characters' subplots, whilst other plot-lines were judiciously trimmed down. Almost a whole episodes worth of material had to be excised. Reitz was not happy about this.

Pooch

4. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much for that information Pooch, my husband will be rivetted to those episodes. His grandmother was German but died before he was born. We also have an elderly German friend, who naturally will find it totally fascinating.

I have copied and pasted this so we don't miss any episodes as I sometimes forget to look at the Radio Times. You have presented it so beautifully, with such detail, it's almost a work of art! Many, many thanks.

Cynthia

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Cynthia,

No problems. Glad I could be of help! :) As soon as I hear of any future transmission details I will post them in my usual Monthly "Coming Up In... 2005" threads, which you will find at the top of the Television Programmes And DVD's thread in this very forum. :) So, please check back, every now and again. Thanks.

Pooch

6. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pooch,

Thank you for the response. I cannot believe I have looked at the AV Forums several times a week for two years and have rarely ventured beyond the Sky, Television and LCD Television forums. Last month I glanced at "Television Programmes and DVDs" and made a comment about the film "Downfall", which had strayed into this section.

I was unaware of your monthly "sticky" until last night. What a find! I feel like shouting about it to all and sundry who frequent these forums as doubtless so many, like myself, are unaware of your tremendous contribution.

I am kicking myself for having missed "Triumph of the Will"; the re-runs of "Little Britain" and "League of Gentlemen" as I missed some episodes of both previously. I have set Sky+ to record "The Simpsons" on the 29th, the twins are great characters with their gravelly voices, a new Simpson episode I can't miss. I was relieved to see "King of the Hill" had not been axed too. "Heimat" will be the "must see" programmes this month and, according to Radio Times, for the next thirty weeks, what a treat.

Although I take "Satellite TV Monthly" it's impossible to wade through all the programmes on a daily basis. It must be very time consuming for you, collating and prioritizing your source material to keep we viewers so well informed. I am very grateful, thank you so much.

Cynthia

7. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Cynthia,

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! :blush: You really are too kind. :)

Like you, I get "Satellite TV Monthly", and yes, it does take me a while to wade through all the listings, but that's the only real way to find some of the many hidden gems, that I then mention in my monthly TV listing update in the "TV Programmes And DVD's" thread on this very forum. The TV schedulers tend to either be idiots, or just don't want people to find some of the better shows. This is where I come in. I try to find stuff that I know I want to see, and that I'm pretty certain others will as well. However, so many people miss these shows, because they're hidden in the schedules, destined to be lost.

Anyway, thanks for your kind comments, and if you can get more people to look at the AV Forums, as well as my monthly TV thread, then I'm sure that'll please Stuart (Wright - the guy who runs these forums!) no end!

Just one other thing, you may not have noticed: "Satellite TV Monthly" will cease with the current issue. Basically, it's being combined with the other monthly satellite listings guide "What Satellite". The new magazine - June 2005 issue - has a red Simpsons cover, and the combined magazine will now be called "What Satellite And Digital TV Monthly"! :eek:

A pain, I know, but I'd hate you to wonder what was going on, when you couldn't find the new issue.

Okay, gotta go. :)

Pooch

8. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you again Pooch for your reply. I feel quite ashamed that I haven't waded through the listings in "Satellite TV Monthly". You must feel, as I do, that there just isn't enough time to watch all these goodies. I watched "Frasier" and "Cheers" repeats ad nauseam so I can now ignore them. Yet to see the programmes listed still draws me to watch them again; occasionally I discover a virgin episode and I am hooked yet again. My taste is eclectic (jokingly referred to by my husband that I watch a lot of rubbish!) I am now enjoying "Kath and Kim" and the repeat of "Murder One" on FX. I thought that programme was never the same after they removed Daniel Benzali as the producers decided he wasn't attractive enough. He was believable in the part and had a presence that was more important than pretty boy looks.

Sorry, I am waffling on. This does not need any reply Pooch, keep your energies for your June listings. I am looking forward to seeing them, even if you can only manage a couple of items I know they will be worth watching. Thank you yet again.

Cynthia

Thank you for mentioning about the change to "Satellite TV Monthly". I did see this mentioned in the May issue and today my husband tried to buy it for me but said he couldn't see it. Now I know it has a red Simpson's cover it will be easier to find. I hope the magazine change is for the better although I was content with it as it was; I thought the film listings were excellent. My only gripe was the change to programme schedules but that wasn't the fault of the magazine.

9. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Okay, well I know I didn't need to reply, but I thought I would.

1) Don't feel ashamed about not wading through the listings. That's what I'm here for. ;)

2) "Kath And Kim" I'm enjoying on BBC2 as well.

3) Agree with you on "Murder One". A superb show, but Season 2 was definitely inferior.

4) I haven't been able to locate the new "What Satellite And Digitial TV Monthly" magazine either. I think it's been delayed a bit.

5) The new listings for end-of-May and June 2005 are... here! Enjoy them! :)

Pooch

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Just a reminder - "Heimat" starts tonight on BBC4 at 9pm. However, it is being preceeded by an all-new 30 minute documentary, on the same channel, at 8:30pm. (This documentary is a one-off, but is also repeated on Sunday night at 11pm on BBC4.) These will be the only times that this is being shown, for the moment.

Pooch

11. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    There is a competition on the BBC website to win Heimat DVDs.