1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heigt installation DLP projector ceiling

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by JoE72, Mar 9, 2003.

1. JoE72

JoE72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I intend to self install a home cinema system in our new home, but which we would also shorly renovate, before moving in.

Question: The family room is on ground level with the second storey directly above, this room thus have concrete ceiling. Could a DLP projector be fixed directly onto the ceiling - normal height, I think in the region of 3 meters.

Another option could be a ceiling lift built into a false ceiling.

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    Anything is possible, but you have to take into account the projected off-set of the projector - your screen may end up so high on the wall that watching it gives viewers a sore neck.

A rule of thumb is to have the screen set so that the eyes from the normal viewing position are roughly one third up the screen. I have my eyes nearer the middle, and I prefer that.

Most pjs come with a ceiling mount that will allow you to hang it from the ceiling at a height more suitable for comfortable viewing, so you may need to have it a good few inchs from the ceiling.

Some pjs have a very good digital keystone correction (i.e NEC HT1000), so having the pj high on the ceiling and tilted down may still give a good picture.

The lift in a false ceiling is a good idea for hiding the pj, and would also lower the ceiling/pj into a better position to negate the image issues I mentioned.

HTH

Gary.