Question Height speaker for atmos

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by tim1982, Jul 25, 2018.

1. tim1982

tim1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Hi all

Looking to move to atmos but my setup does not afford me the luxury of in ceiling speakers so my options are up firing or height mounted. I'm more swayed towards height speakers angled down and I'm looking at the Cambridge audio minx 12's for the job.

Would like to hear opinions/recommendations from owners who have height mounted speakers for atmos.

2. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +924
    I too do not want (or can't be bothered to fit) in ceiling speakers.

I went for the Dali Fazon Mikro rather than the Cambridge Audio speakers, largely due to the extended frequency range. My receiver has a "global" crossover and cannot set individual crossovers for speaker groups. The Minx 12's lowest freq is around 150Hz (up to 20kHz), whereas the Dali is specified as 95Hz -23kHz.

I have these mounted on the ceiling, above the main LR speakers and pointing down to the listening position. I don't know if I'm getting the full Atmos effect but the system sounds great, especially with music played in one of the surround modes (DTS X particularly)

3. stewjoy

stewjoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    I have front heights for Atmos, like you couldn’t fix in ceiling so went this route. Really impressive can’t comment on the minx I have Apex A10’s. I’m really glad I went this way.

4. tim1982

tim1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Thanks both I wanted the minxes as my room is rather small so didn't want regular sized speakers above the TV as I'm sure it will be eye catching for the wrong reasons! :facepalm:

Does the Hz rating make such a big difference with over head sounds?

5. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +924
    Well sort of. If the speaker is limited to starting at 150Hz, you need to set your crossover to that (or close to it) as the speaker will be swamped with audio it can’t cope with, leading to potential damage and overloading/distortion.

On my receiver, you can only set a global cover for all speakers, so 150Hz would prevent usable frequencies below that going to my full sized speakers. My system works very well at 100Hz, so I went with small speakers that would cope with that.

If your receiver allows individual crossover settings, you could set 150Hz for the MN12’s and 80/100 Hz for your other speakers (assuming they don’t all start at 150Hz)

6. tim1982

tim1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Thanks that's really handy to know, I'm quite new to the world of speakers and have been trying to understand crossovers etc. My receiver can handle different crossovers as my fronts are all set to 100hz but my rears are set to 150hz so the heights shouldn't be a problem.

7. Topmetom 2

Topmetom 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    Interested....do you have any pictures of them installed?