Height speaker comparison table (Klipsch, Alteco, XTZ s2 atmos, MA, Dynavoice...) and questions about matching w/ Wharfedale 220, placement and angles

Lyrica

Standard Member
Hi folks!
Thanks to your help (thanks again @Gasp3621 and @StefanBFC :thumbsup:) I got and setup an Arendal 1961 1S subwoofer and it has vastly improved our movie watching experience.
I'm now itching to open up the vertical dimension with height speakers.
I initially considered in ceiling speakers but after reading a lot about height speaker setup I'm leaning towards a more auro3D-ish configuration (30º angle?) which if I understood correctly would also work well for Atmos. That would also allow me to avoid making 6" holes on the ceiling.

I have a set of 4 wharfedale 220s and a 220c. I could use my Denon 1400h as 5.1.2, using my PC connected to it as the media player and I'm hoping to eventually upgrade the receiver, ideally to the Denon 4700h (w/ eARC, Auromatic and able to amplify 5.1.4) and to 4 height speakers.

• How important is it to match the general sound of the other speakers?
  • How critical is the angle? With the speakers on the wall but close to the ceiling, 24-29º would be the ideal angles to target the main listening position. Should I incline the speakers further to reach from 21-22º (Klipsch or XTZ for instance) or 25º (Alteco) closer to 30º?
  • Should I go with the Wharfedale d300 3d? It doesn't seem to be a good value at the prices I found. For a little more (less than 600€ for four), I'm under the impression that the XTZ S2 or the Dali Alteco-C1 would be better options. Which of these should I get? Which one would be a better match for the Wharfedale 220s?
  • I also found the Klipsch R-41SA with a little discount (600€ for four) but couldn't find much about them... Are they any good? would they sound very different from the Wharfedale 220s?
  • I also added Monitor Audio, the SVS Prime Elevation and Arendal 1961 speakers, but they are quite out of budget, so I would rather prefer not to go that route.
  • Also, even if I so very briefly considered it :p, I'm not willing to buy and place Wharfedale 220s as height speakers.

Thanks for your help :),

Speaker table comparison.png

Attachments

• top view living room w 4 height speakers.jpg
    top view living room w 4 height speakers.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 18

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
@John24ssj has Auro 3D system with the 1961 Heights and Denon X4700H, maybe he could chime in.

Pictures:

Settings:

NewAcousticDimension

Nice table! Would you be interested in keeping that up to date if people inform you and link to specs of more models?

It's quite a common question that comes up!

John24ssj

Auro 3D setup works just fine for Atmos I found it sounding better than overhead ceiling mounted speakers that I've listened to before.
As for speakers I would suggest something that will match closes to the timbre of your floor level speakers.

Lyrica

Standard Member
Auro 3D setup works just fine for Atmos I found it sounding better than overhead ceiling mounted speakers that I've listened to before.
As for speakers I would suggest something that will match closes to the timbre of your floor level speakers.
Thanks for confirming the layout question :)

As for the speakers themselves... That's what I have a hard time finding out, what would be more similar to the timbre of the Wharfedale diamond 220s?

Are the Dali Altecos less warm? Would the XTZ S2 atmos be a closer fit? What about the Klipsch R41-SA?

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom